Menu

another hoop to jump through... could use some help, please

Nicole M

~sigh~

I learned yesterday that we need to submit by Friday a grant application for $2,500/semester. This is through the National Tuition Exchange program -- we had been nominated as the eligible employees of our college to apply for the grant because our EFC is so low. (Nice!) Our names had been submitted, and they were wondering why we hadn't filled out the application. That would be because the email filter at our work is so aggressive, we never got the application, sent in February.

Here's the thing. They seem to be looking at raw numbers, GPA, class standing, SAT scores. They would also like a one-page statement from the student about why they want to go to college. ("That part's easy, mom!")

So my questions for the hive are:

How would you frame the cover letter? What would you want to emphasize, when all the "numbers" are either non-stellar or non-existent? I wrote a humdinger of a homeschool philosophy statement (with a huge amount of help from Kareni!) for the application, but I suspect that is more than they want to hear.

And the dumb question.... This needs to be submitted electronically. I would like to include his transcript, music resume, and some other lists. Should I convert the whole mess into a multi-page pdf (which I don't really know how to do), or would it be acceptable to cut and paste into a single word document?

I'm tired. I want this to all be done. And I'm irked that it's an "emergency" because we didn't get the original email in February.

Thanks for all your help. I would not have made it this far without y'all!

The fun never stops, does it, Nicole? But for the possibility of $5,000 a year, I can see why this would be worth pursuing.

I can't help you with the electronic aspects of your submission since I'm an ignoramus in that department.

Late night thoughts: My suggestion for the cover letter would be to cull the strongest sections of your homeschool philosophy/letter of recommendation and the additional letter you submitted to one of the colleges. If you feel that financial need is an element, mention your low EFC (extra monies could come in handy too as your son will doubtless have travel expenses to cover). (One number you might choose to mention is the fact that your son is ranked one of one in his homeschool class this year!) Express appreciation for this opportunity to enhance your son's education.

Soon this will all be over and you can heave a big sigh of relief.

Regards,

Kareni

If they're looking at raw numbers, I'd keep the documentation/lists to a minimum. You don't want them to discount the app. because it looks like you can't follow directions. I agree w/Kareni that you should "say it all" in your cover letter.

As to word or pdf, if it's multi-pages, I'd go w/pdf since it compresses more so will be easier for them to receive & open.

• 4 weeks later...