Menu

Dry run on high school schedule - can you see if I am missing things?

My son will be in 9th grade next year. Homeschooling high school is not something I would be doing. He has been homeschooled all along - but somehow I thought he would go to private school. Any way, this is our approach:

Science - Apologia Bio. taken at co-op.

Math - Jacob's geometry

English - Brit. Lit. - heavy on writing - at co-op

Foreign Language - Either Latin 1 or 2 Oxford, at co-op

History - Oak Meadow World History

P.E./Health - P.E. class - co-op, plus Tennis team, Golf Team, Ski Club -all at co-op

Religion - Didache Catholic Faith instruction

he is in Boy Scouts, Altar Server, and church youth group.

I know Logic isn't there - can he do that later? Thanks for your help.

P.E./Health - P.E. class - co-op, plus Tennis team, Golf Team, Ski Club -all at co-op

It all looks good. But for transcript purposes, you may want some of this to be PE and some to be extra-curricular activities.

I agree with Brindee, your co-op sounds great!

Shelly,

Your plan looks good to me. The only thing I see possibly "missing" is a fine arts (music or art) course -- not that one is definitely required. I just bring this up because our local school district requires 1 fine arts credit in high school, so I had my son do a drawing course one year.

If you aren't trying to meet specific requirements for your area, he may not need the art course. Also, if you want him to have an arts course, it doesn't have to be freshman year either because what you've got listed looks like a pretty full year to me.

You might also want to check a local state u (either website or call) to see what they require of incoming college freshman.

HTH,

Brenda

It is about 300 kids. The classes are range from the serious academic to fun (p.e.). They offer everything to prom/graduation/drama/award winning basketball team/ski trips every other week in winter/ camping trips/scouts/ yearbook/student council/Model UN, etc.

I'm sure if I hadn't put my kids in this co-op my eldest would be going to private h.s. in the fall. I hope it plays out well for his life. He is adamant about staying where he is. There are tons of boys his age (and my youngest' age) and they all get together and play airsoft guns and football at least every other week.

We are blessed to have it as an option. Thanks for all of your responses.