Menu

Self-Education

Confession time. I was offered a classical education in the UK. The child of intellectual classically educated parents, and younger sibling of a brilliant sister and brother, I ended up with a scholarship to a private classical school. However I had difficulty with writing, I couldn't spell (still cannot), and couldn't read aloud although i was a voracious reader to myself. I guess nowadays I would be considered dyslexic.

I was therefore considered lazy..."how can you be reading Hugh Walpole for fun and cannot be bothered to spell this essay correctly. You must be lazy!"

I got across the authorities, started truanting etc etc. Meanwhile my sister was learning Latin, Ancient Greek, classical studies, great books literature etc etc. However I was there enough (and around my family enough) to be able to 'do the talk' I can convince people I am educated with 'sound-bites' and I can get away with it, as long as the person to whom I am talking is not classically educated.

I have been so embarrassed about this I have done nothing about it! After all, doing something about it would mean admitting I stuffed up in the first place!

Anyway, the point of all this is this: As my 50th birthday present to myself, I am going to rectify my education. I am going to work out a study plan for me (my youngest is now 14, my 2 eldest grown and flown, I have time!)

This is my public declaration that I admit I have wasted my oportunities, I reget this and I am going to self-educate! Hurray!

Willow.

My youngest graduates this year and it's now time for me to catch up on my studies. I'm actually going to my state's homeschool convention to look for stuff for me this time. I'm actually quite excited about it and from what I've seen on other posts, we're not alone. Good luck with your endeavor and keep us up to date.

:hurray: I'm 42 and started on the self-education journey about two years ago. I have a few more years of ds in the household (thankfully!) and most of my learning evolves around what I teach or will teach him. The other day I realized I will have time once he goes to college to solely pursue things that interest me. Either that or finish reading all the books on my shelves. :D