Menu

has anyone used Basic Physics: A Self Teaching Guide?

Guest Virginia Dawn

Guest Virginia Dawn

I know that SWB recommended the self teaching guides in her first book, which is the one I have. Has anyone used these, specifically the Physics? I think they have changed some in the last 10 years. :-)

I haven't seen the physics book..... but,

We just got the astronomy book in the mail this week. I love the way it is set up! You read a section and then have a question to answer. The question seems to be the most important point of that section. At the end of the chapter there is a little test, that can be copied and used as a worksheet.

It seems too "light" for a full credit. I would beef it up a bit. We were using library books and documentaries for astronomy and I wanted a text to add some credibility to the credit.

It does seem to cover a wide range of concepts and I'm thinking about doing more of these with other kids in the future.

I haven't used them yet, but I have the four STG rec'd in WTM for high school science, and I like them. I also have the rec'd. experiment guides, and it seems to me that using the two together, along with doing the science history reading laid out in WTM, would make a great science course. Certainly MUCH better than I had in high school. I think they are still rec'd. in the latest WTM, too. They seem to me to be a good, basic spine from which to do further reading/experimenting.

EDIT: I think some of ksva's kids used them, too. You could search for threads by her about these.