Menu

!!panic help!!!

pamd

I am in my 2nd year of hs and my ds struggles with math. I have been using Saxon 54 which I was told is for high 4th grade avg. 5th now I found out from Saxon it is for 4th grade and I have bought 65 for next year. My son should be in 6th grade work next year and we are doing school year round to finish the 54. If this is only 4th grade I am way behind and freaking out. HELP SOMEONE!! I struggle with math myself so that is why I used Saxon we love it, but my ds still struggles with the basic adding, subtracting, doing much better in multiply, we have touched on division by one number only. I am so confused on how to move forward and any thoughts would be appreciated. :eek:

IMO

It is time to stop using Saxon. My dd did not like Saxon and failed the tests repetitively. We moved on to MUS and TT. She did well after Saxon with MUS because she could understand the interrelations and progressive nature, although it was a bit on the dry side and required "me". TT was preferred by her. Abeka was too repetitive, but this would enforce the concepts for child that needs this type of enforcement. I believe it is time for you to search.

There are many programs with a variety of teaching styles. I do not believe you can choose a wrong program, but you can choose a program that is wrong for your child. Analyze your child's needs as well as their likes and dislikes by looking at the content areas and asking your child questions.

Breathe! You will do fine.

Don't panic! We use Saxon too. We just go through the books in order as we complete them. As I understand it the 5/4 is for the average 5th grader/ advanced 4th grader. Saxon is more rigorous than other math programs. As for the struggling with math facts, we have that problem too. I bought a program to supplement Saxon, only because my child needs the extra practice with math facts. I don't think the math facts issues is with Saxon, I think for us it's just my child. He needs to constantly go over the facts. Have you tried working with flash cards or Calculadder drills?

Don't get all freaked out by what Saxon says, relax. :D I wouldn't move forward too fast if he struggles with basic MDA and S. Maybe find something else to use over the summer to work on basic skills. I know for myself I like using different approaches when I trying to learn something that's difficult for me. Many people seem to be recommending Math Mammoth lately, maybe that would work for you over the summer.

Don't panic!!!! :grouphug:

You need to go at your child's pace, it is rarely going to line up with someone else's standards. Your son needs to get those basic operations down before he can move on to higher math, so just relax and move on when he is ready. Maybe Saxon isn't as good a fit as you think it is? I would say to try to incorporate some math games and other things to help bring all the concepts together.

The more you stress out about it, and make him realize he is not where you would like... he will probably end up having even more trouble. Just my opinion.

Just breathe in, relax, and keep plugging along. It will eventually all click, and this will seem like a bad dream. ;)

I try not to get hung up on "grade levels", it is part of why we home educate. I am sure your son is doing great in a lot of other areas and ways.

Saxon is pretty dry and has a LOT of busywork.... maybe you can spice it up, and buy something cheap and different to do every other day?

Good luck! You are both doing fine.... if he is going to struggle in math he would be doing it wherever he is, home or a brick and mortar school.

I am in my 2nd year of hs and my ds struggles with math. I have been using Saxon 54 which I was told is for high 4th grade avg. 5th now I found out from Saxon it is for 4th grade and I have bought 65 for next year. My son should be in 6th grade work next year and we are doing school year round to finish the 54. If this is only 4th grade I am way behind and freaking out. HELP SOMEONE!! I struggle with math myself so that is why I used Saxon we love it, but my ds still struggles with the basic adding, subtracting, doing much better in multiply, we have touched on division by one number only. I am so confused on how to move forward and any thoughts would be appreciated. :eek:

You've been given incorrect information.

Math 54 can be *either* fourth or fifth; Math 65 can be *either* fifth or sixth, and so on. And there's no "should" about which one you should use, other than it should be the one that your child tests into.

It would be silly to choose a math text because someone else said you "should." I'm sorry you were given that advice.

IOW, I would't worry about it for a nanosecond. Have your dc do the drills indicated for each lesson; do all the problems in each lesson, and any extra practices. It will be fine.

Don't panic! We use Saxon too. We just go through the books in order as we complete them. As I understand it the 5/4 is for the average 5th grader/ advanced 4th grader. Saxon is more rigorous than other math programs. As for the struggling with math facts, we have that problem too. I bought a program to supplement Saxon, only because my child needs the extra practice with math facts. I don't think the math facts issues is with Saxon, I think for us it's just my child. He needs to constantly go over the facts. Have you tried working with flash cards or Calculadder drills?

What did you get to supplement? I have tried hooked on phonics math and I had to spend all year last year on mutiplication, which I thought he knew until I started homeschooling. He does get bored and frustrated with Saxon do you know anything about Math Mammoth or CLE math or any other program. Should I just continue with Saxon, I really want to get him at grade level the best way possible and as soon as possible. Does that mean try something new. I have tried ACE, Professor B, Hooked on Phonics math, and none of these have worked. How do I not panic!! Have I failed somewhere?

:grouphug:

I had a panic about math this week too.

:grouphug:

Saxon 54 is for 4th OR 5th grade. But all books grade levels are really just an approximate grade level anyway.

If you like Saxon, don't switch. Just because it did not work well for someone else does not mean that it is not the best fit for your family.

Just keep working along where ever you are going at YOUR child's pace. Don't worry about the number on the book.

Now, I just need to take my own medicine right along with you. :)

If your child is in public school and struggles, do you know what happens? They fail.

You homeschool. You move at their pace. You don't have to do every problem. Introduce the lesson. Do some work together.

You could have one day a week be a game day. Choose some math games that will help him work on his weaknesses.

You might try a different program, too. We like MUS because it's straight forward for our special needs child. It has worked well with all our children.

My oldest is technically behind. He actually does well with Math, but has struggled with some "special" issues. Now that he is doing better with those, he is getting further in Math. Still even though he is behind, he will finish Algebra by the time he gets to College. Many, many students have to re-do levels of Math in College/University.

My son does not know how to do the work in 54 that is why I wanted to continue thru the summer to finish it. I have also gone back to the beginning of the book this week lesson 1 and doing the fact practice, mental math, and problem solving to try and reinforce his weak areas, I have continued with the lesson we are on lesson 52 again I have tried so many math programs that haven't worked I really like Saxons' approach and reinforcement, but still not sure what to do from here. Do I continue on trudging through and finish each book as he is ready or drop this and try again!! Really getting tired of trying and failing.

You are both doing fine.... if he is going to struggle in math he would be doing it wherever he is, home or a brick and mortar school.

Thanks that helped. I did hs not to worry about grade levels and to focus on basics and making them strong. My next concern is where to go from here, as you can see I have tried many. I did look at Math mammoth but not sure where to start there.:confused:

You are not failing.

You are not failing.

You are not failing.

;)

Do they have a placement test? You could have him do that and see where to place him.

I have found that my boys don't always get what they are doing. But, after a few lessons they finally get it. That is why I've been happy with MUS. It's clear cut and it gives them plenty of time to really get what they are learning that year. I know it drives other's crazy though. I don't think I could handle all of what is in Saxon. (Plus, I need that DVD). I would definitely only do a set of problems (like odds or evens).

Doesn't Saxon have DIVE now? I think this i it http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/cms_content?page=1722728&sp=59987&kw=saxon%20dive&event=PPCSRC&p=1018818&cm_mmc=Google-_-Homeschool-_-saxon%20dive-_-saxon%20dive&gclid=CMrPhtn89KACFQlZiAodV17GzQ

You are not failing.

You are not failing.

You are not failing.

;)

Do they have a placement test? You could have him do that and see where to place him.

I have found that my boys don't always get what they are doing. But, after a few lessons they finally get it. That is why I've been happy with MUS. It's clear cut and it gives them plenty of time to really get what they are learning that year. I know it drives other's crazy though. I don't think I could handle all of what is in Saxon. (Plus, I need that DVD). I would definitely only do a set of problems (like odds or evens).

Doesn't Saxon have DIVE now? I think this i it http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/cms_content?page=1722728&sp=59987&kw=saxon%20dive&event=PPCSRC&p=1018818&cm_mmc=Google-_-Homeschool-_-saxon%20dive-_-saxon%20dive&gclid=CMrPhtn89KACFQlZiAodV17GzQ

Thanks so much for the encouragement. I actually cringe when I have to start looking at other curriculums, I am so frustrated in buying stuff and not working. I really like saxon but think maybe I should supplement. How would you recommend to continue with saxon but to help fill in the gaps. Would you get the dive cd or another program and how would you work it in with saxon as not to burn him out one lesson of saxon a day is about all he can take along with the mental math, and fact practice and I break the sub. and addition in half or less.

We are getting ready to do our yearly testing should I just wait on that. We have a lot of hs issues. He also doesn't do well with test. I really appreciate your time and opion.:confused:

What did you get to supplement? I have tried hooked on phonics math and I had to spend all year last year on mutiplication, which I thought he knew until I started homeschooling. He does get bored and frustrated with Saxon do you know anything about Math Mammoth or CLE math or any other program. Should I just continue with Saxon, I really want to get him at grade level the best way possible and as soon as possible. Does that mean try something new. I have tried ACE, Professor B, Hooked on Phonics math, and none of these have worked. How do I not panic!! Have I failed somewhere?

I use Mastering Mathematics to supplement,I bought it used on homeschool classifieds. All needed manipulatives are included, it uses fact wheels and counting strips. Each of the 6 operations are in it's own book, so we work through each book as we need to. It's reproducible within your family.

With that said, Math Mammoth looks easier to use and is a lot cheaper. You can purchase Math Mammoth at currclick, and only purchase the workbooks you need. I don't know anything about CLE. We previously used Ray's math ( I was lost without a Teacher's Manual) , Singapore ( hated it), Scott Foresman ( no Teacher's Manual again) and various work books.

We had problems with Saxon 5/4 this year also. My son got to about the 5th or 6th week and just stopped, he couldn't do the work, so we backed up a year in Saxon and add in Mastering Mathematics, he is doing much better. We didn't use Saxon last year, so he was way behind in the concepts, my fault for playing around, trying this and that for 2 years. I do think Saxon is a solid program. My hubby, the math whiz who took math through Calculus, thinks Saxon is great at teaching the concepts,but the child HAS to know their math facts to go forward with math.Otherwise, they are just lost in the higher level math.

It will all be ok in the end, don't worry!

HTH,

Kim

Edited by zookeeperof3
ETA I've heard good things about MUS. We are staying w/ Saxon because I was gifted w/ all of the books to Calculus.

I use Mastering Mathematics to supplement,I bought it used on homeschool classifieds. All needed manipulatives are included, it uses fact wheels and counting strips. Each of the 6 operations are in it's own book, so we work through each book as we need to. It's reproducible within your family.

With that said, Math Mammoth looks easier to use and is a lot cheaper. You can purchase Math Mammoth at currclick, and only purchase the workbooks you need. I don't know anything about CLE. We previously used Ray's math ( I was lost without a Teacher's Manual) , Singapore ( hated it), Scott Foresman ( no Teacher's Manual again) and various work books.

We had problems with Saxon 5/4 this year also. My son got to about the 5th or 6th week and just stopped, he couldn't do the work, so we backed up a year in Saxon and add in Mastering Mathematics, he is doing much better. We didn't use Saxon last year, so he was way behind in the concepts, my fault for playing around, trying this and that for 2 years. I do think Saxon is a solid program. My hubby, the math whiz who took math through Calculus, thinks Saxon is great at teaching the concepts,but the child HAS to know their math facts to go forward with math.Otherwise, they are just lost in the higher level math.

It will all be ok in the end, don't worry!

HTH,

Kim

Would you just get something to supplement to get the basic adding, subtracting, and multiplying through the rest of the year and still do saxon or how would you break that up or would you. What would you do at this point if you where me. I really can't afford anymore curriculum but I don't want to use that if it will help my son I will buy it.:confused:

:crying:Okay now I am questioning my R&S English. We started it mid stream this year and only about half way and haven't gotten to puncuation and captialization. Is there a cheap program that would hit all the needed areas and uses lots of chances to exercise what he has learned? I am ready to give up. I wouldn't praise God I am blessed to hs but I am very frustrated and confused. I want my ds to succeed and do not want money to be an issue but I have bought so much curriculum my dh is going to kill me if I buy one more thing that doesn't work. Tried Easy Grammar, and ACE. Do I have enough issues for one day or what. I appreciate any thoughts. Deeply distressed.

I'm coming in a bit late in all of this, but just wanted to suggest Calculadders. It's affordable enough that you wouldn't have to spend a bundle and you could just continue working through Saxon slowly.

I'm sure that once those facts are down pat, the lessons will flow smoothly, and I'm with the rest of the posters that you should wait to finish 5/4 and then see what level he'll test in next. Sometimes they test in two levels higher after finishing one of the Saxon books.

If your only problem is the math facts, then that is what you should address right now. Then after you are finished with 5/4, you can reassess and reevaluate the situation and then decide if you will change programs altogether.

I have learned not to jump ship right away anymore, but to try and make my program work and reevaluate at the end of the year. :)

Dee

ps For what it's worth, we are using CLE and loving it, but I believe that its focus on mastering the math facts is half of the reason why users are so successful with it. Knowing that now, I know that whatever math program we use, those math facts should be second nature. Many Blessings!!!

Don't panic!!!! :grouphug:

You need to go at your child's pace, it is rarely going to line up with someone else's standards. Your son needs to get those basic operations down before he can move on to higher math, so just relax and move on when he is ready. Maybe Saxon isn't as good a fit as you think it is? I would say to try to incorporate some math games and other things to help bring all the concepts together.

The more you stress out about it, and make him realize he is not where you would like... he will probably end up having even more trouble. Just my opinion.

Just breathe in, relax, and keep plugging along. It will eventually all click, and this will seem like a bad dream. ;)

I try not to get hung up on "grade levels", it is part of why we home educate. I am sure your son is doing great in a lot of other areas and ways.

Saxon is pretty dry and has a LOT of busywork.... maybe you can spice it up, and buy something cheap and different to do every other day?

Good luck! You are both doing fine.... if he is going to struggle in math he would be doing it wherever he is, home or a brick and mortar school.

:iagree: I bet if he were tested along with other kids from the PS in his grade he would test well above in math simply because "behind" or not he gets the 1 on 1 help. I personally dont like saxon because they dont seem to get enough work on the new topic. Maybe a change of curriculum is what you need to do. You said you already have next years book, so either sell it or use it for supplemental. I use 2 math curricula and I know alot of other people do also. But relax! My 6th grade dd wants to switch to singapore math, I did the placement test with her and she would start in 5B-- she will be in 7th next year BUT singapore is an amazing curriculum and its not too expensive. You can do a placement test (and dont worry what level he starts at because singapore is more advanced, but it teaches the concepts VERY WELL!!! :grouphug: Just my opinion

Thanks for your imput. I feel I can't afford to keep jumping ship like you said. I want to make the programs work. I am just wondering should I just scrap Saxon and R&S English and try CLE but again I wouldn't know where to start. I could finish the summer with some math mammoth or what do you think. At this point someone else's ideas are welcome I am very frustrated, stressed, and confused. I don't want to fail my ds and I want him to be strong in all the basics in Math, and English. Whatcha think?

My son does not know how to do the work in 54 that is why I wanted to continue thru the summer to finish it. I have also gone back to the beginning of the book this week lesson 1 and doing the fact practice, mental math, and problem solving to try and reinforce his weak areas, I have continued with the lesson we are on lesson 52 again I have tried so many math programs that haven't worked I really like Saxons' approach and reinforcement, but still not sure what to do from here. Do I continue on trudging through and finish each book as he is ready or drop this and try again!! Really getting tired of trying and failing.

When you say your DS "doesn't know how to do the work," do you mean he just hasn't memorized his math facts, or he really doesn't understand basic math concepts? Because those are two completely separate issues; they use different parts of the brain and many students (and adults) understand math concepts perfectly well long before they have their facts memorized.

If the issue is just math facts, then I wouldn't switch programs. You could either pause Saxon and work on math facts alone for a little while, or continue moving ahead conceptually (and perhaps let your son use a math facts chart to solve problems) while practicing math facts separately.

If the problem is that he truly isn't getting the concepts behind math, then I would try a different program. I think Math Mammoth would be great for that, because it does explain the concepts extremely well, in very small steps, and it has a fair amount of math facts practice in the lower levels. Many people also use it as a supplement, so you could try it out as a supplement for Saxon, and then if you find it works better, you could eventually drop Saxon and continue with Math Mammoth.

I did look at Math mammoth but not sure where to start there.:confused:

Here are the placement tests for Math Mammoth:

http://www.mathmammoth.com/complete/placement_tests.php

Just have your DS take the "end of year test" for the previous grade (4th?). If that one is way off, then take the test for 3rd. Start him in the year above whichever test he passes (i.e. if he passes the 3rd grade test with flying colors, but can't pass the 4th grade test, then you should start him in 4A).

DO NOT WORRY ABOUT GRADE LEVELS!!!! Being one or even two grades "behind" at his current age is not a big problem. You have plenty of time to catch up, and it's FAR more important that he have a good solid understanding of the basics before he moves forward. My DS was doing 3rd grade math (and not "getting" it) when I pulled him out of PS after 4th grade, so he started 5th almost 2 grades behind. We used Math Mammoth and he very quickly caught up to grade level (and beyond). He's currently doing Life of Fred PreAlgebra in 6th. Even if he hadn't caught up as quickly as he did, I would much prefer to have a child working a grade or two "behind" ~ and really "getting" what he's doing ~ than rush through a text every year with little understanding or retention, just so I could say that his "grade" matched the number on the front of his textbook.

Jackie

I bet if he were tested along with other kids from the PS in his grade he would test well above in math simply because "behind" or not he gets the 1 on 1 help.

We found this to be true. We've homeschooled for 9 years and my son has always been a few years behind "grade level" in math, yet he scored above grade level on the end of the year test. If your happy with saxon could you just use flash cards everyday to drill the basic facts. It's not exciting, but it does work.

Try to relax. Your not in a race when it comes to your sons education. :001_smile:

I don't have time for a full comment and I didn't read all the comments, but wanted to say that my ds who is in 6th grade just started Saxon 5/4. I am concerned but not stressing. I don't want my son to feel the vibes of stress as they say ;)

I think the Dive cd would be an option with helping your ds. My Josh, doesn't watch the dive because he understands right now (only on lesson 20) but once he get to the division and so forth I can see him hitting a wall, that's when we will use it more. Maybe your ds needs to see someone work the problems out. At times I think having another person via dive cd show the child helps.

I would much prefer to have a child working a grade or two "behind" ~ and really "getting" what he's doing ~ than rush through a text every year with little understanding or retention, just so I could say that his "grade" matched the number on the front of his textbook.

I think he just hasn't mastered them enough to move forward he takes so long with basic single digit subtraction, he gets the right answer but not quick about it. I agree 100% with not caring about the grade. I just want him to get the basics and know them good and not struggle with math his whole life like I do, and I need something that is straight forward on teaching the concepts to me to explain to him because of my weak math skills. I spent all last year on mutiplying and he is doing well with it now. I wish we just had an easy fix:lol: Thanks for your imput and anymore thoughts I would appreciate.

I tried the flash cards and cassettes that came with Hooked on Math. I just want to get the basics well grounded before moving on. It looks like the best option for that is Math mammoth. Thanks for your time and encouragment.

We found this to be true. We've homeschooled for 9 years and my son has always been a few years behind "grade level" in math, yet he scored above grade level on the end of the year test. If your happy with saxon could you just use flash cards everyday to drill the basic facts. It's not exciting, but it does work.

Try to relax. Your not in a race when it comes to your sons education. :001_smile:

:iagree: I was going to suggest flash cards, the one's from Dollar Tree are great. Also, on Saxon's website they have a free generator, you can make practice sheets for free. Here it is http://www.haelmedia.com/basic_fact_sheets/index.html

As for Grammar, we use Rod & Staff and like it a lot. Scott Foresman has some free grammar books online, you just have to print them. Here's the link http://www.sfreading.com/resources/ghb.html

We were in the same boat last year, with not having the extra money to buy books. We used the above links and it helped us a lot.

HTH,

Kim

I tried the flash cards and cassettes that came with Hooked on Math. I just want to get the basics well grounded before moving on. It looks like the best option for that is Math mammoth. Thanks for your time and encouragment.

What about copying the math facts. Show him tricks like 9+4, one less then 4 is 3, put a 1 in front of the three which is 13. You can do that with all the 9's. With 8's you go back two steps. 8+4, go back two digits with the 4 you get 2 add the 1 in front it's 12. You can do that with all the 8's. 6+5, say five + five is 10 add 1 more it makes 11. These are called doubles plus one.

I just looked at the end of grade test for mammoth math and I don't think he can do the concepts in 4th grade let alone 4th. What should I do? Test him in 4th and see how he does or back up even further? Then from there how do you pick to fill in the gaps? Sorry for all the questions just need some help.

Did you have him take the placement test when you first started? And you say you've tried "so many math programs that haven't worked." In just two years? Was he in public school before? Girlfriend, I feel your pain, but I'm thinking that part of your ds's confusion has much to do with changing your methods too often, before he has time to figure out any one of them.

It will be ok, really. That he (and you) are struggling now doesn't mean he won't ever be comfortable and competent in math and working at appropriate levels. It often takes new hsers two or three years to figure things out, and their dc live to tell about it. :-)

Same here. My son was a straight A student when we took him out of ps in 2nd grade. Then, we found out that they only did math once a week. We have also been doing a lot of backing up and working on the facts. Kids do catch up quickly, especially with the tutor method of homeschooling.

Keep a good attitude and your child will too! The Ladies have posted some really good options for you. Try some of them out, don't stress too much. Use the summer to work on math facts, and by the fall he will more than likely be "caught up".

Blessings,

Kim

Thanks. It is nice to know your not alone. I just do not understand how a child can do so well in ps and then you hs and find out there are so many gaps. For me it is not just math it is also English and it is very disturbing and makes me sad.

I use Easy Grammar to supplement. I saw that you used it also? You could do the punctuation units in it to help him out. I use Easy Grammar as a drill, my son needs to do things over and over before he "gets" them. I also use Intermediate Language Lessons, since our curriculum recommends it. You can download that for free at Google books. Yes, I use 3 Grammar programs, but I use them each for different reasons. The same with math.

My son didn't know phonics when we took him out of school. They only taught sight words, so we've been heavily working on sounding out words in addition to math facts. It will all come together, it just takes time to figure out what you need to do and how to do it. There's a lot of free stuff out there, just do a google search. If there's anything else specifically that you are wanting, I can check my links folder and post it for you.

Kim

Did you have him take the placement test when you first started? And you say you've tried "so many math programs that haven't worked." In just two years? Was he in public school before? Girlfriend, I feel your pain, but I'm thinking that part of your ds's confusion has much to do with changing your methods too often, before he has time to figure out any one of them.

It will be ok, really. That he (and you) are struggling now doesn't mean he won't ever be comfortable and competent in math and working at appropriate levels. It often takes new hsers two or three years to figure things out, and their dc live to tell about it. :-)

I didn't take any testing when I started last year because he did eog's with the ps. He was low in LA and Math. Should have been a clue huh!!!:lol: Even though he passed with honor roll. Don't understand. I guess that is why I am not sure what to do at this point besides be put in an insane hospital:bigear: I am so sick of buying curriculum and I do think we need to get something and stick with it. I feel like it is all my fault but things where not working and clicking and a lot of yelling and fighting. I know there has got to be an easier way. I don't feel like I can do worse then ps I think?!!:confused:

Kim,

Thanks so much. I guess I just lost it for a moment. I just don't understand. I need to fill in the blanks with English and Math and thought that was what I was doing. Not sure if I acomplished anything.

Your Welcome! We all lose it now and then. Just fill in the gaps of knowledge and everything will be fine. I learned to stop comparing my son to his public schooled cousin. Sometimes you need to back up a grade level or two for your child to understand the concepts. For example, my son is 11 yrs old, in 5th grade. We use R&S English 3, Spelling 3, Penmanship 2 ( needed serious help there), Saxon 3 and doing MFW Adventures, which is a 2nd/3rd grade program. I have to do things on his level, not go by grade level. And you know what? He does above grade level on his CAT 5 test every year, so I must be doing something right!

I think we as homeschoolers, beat ourselves up too much about wanting the perfect curriculum and our child to be on grade level with his public school peers. Each child is different. And no one loves your child and wants him to succeed more than you do.

It will all work out.:grouphug:

Kim

Maybe this has already been suggested- but you could get the computer cds that go with the lessons. There are two options- DIVE cds, or Saxon Math Teacher. We reently switched to the SMT, from DIVE, and are loving it. If you/ your child is struggling w/ a certain prob in the lesson, pop the cd in and click on that problem.

Our routine is for them to watch the cd- INTRODUCTION ONLY- then do their lesson. It's great knowing that if a problem arises, we have the cd to refer to. The teacher works out every single problem.

~Pam B

Yes, I really do like CLE math and it is working out great for us. We started CLE after using several other math programs and it is by far my favorite. I only wish I found it earlier. However, I realize that not every child or parent is the same and what works for some may not work for others.

They have a free placement test on their website if your interested.

http://www.clp.org/product/math_100_400_diagnostic_test_1658

You also don't have to order a whole years worth of math. You could just order a light unit or two at $3.20 each to see if it would work for you. :001_smile:

Just don't buy the first light unit if your trying to get a feel for the program. The first light unit of each year is just review for the previous year.

I agree with the others. You have to fill in the gaps when you pull a child out of ps. My ds 10.5 (5th grade) was pulled out of ps after 3rd grade and we had to go backwards even though he was a straight A student all through ps. He is just now catching up. We use CLE Math 5 (just started level 5), R&S English 4 (almost finished with this), R&S Reading 4, and R&S Spelling 4. He is at least a grade level behind in each of those...spelling is more like a 1st grade level, to be honest. We just work where he is and move at his pace. You can't do much more than that.

CLE has so much drill with flashcards and speed drills that my ds learned his multiplication backwards and forwards with it. CLE is wonderful for a child who struggles to memorize math facts. :)

We use Math Mammoth to supplement CLE Math 1 - mostly because ds6 didn't "get" subtraction the first time around. MM is giving us some "tools" to nail down the subtraction problems. Today it was teaching him to count on a number line and to count backwards when subtracting. It will click someday - right? :tongue_smilie:

Your Welcome! We all lose it now and then. Just fill in the gaps of knowledge and everything will be fine. I learned to stop comparing my son to his public schooled cousin. Sometimes you need to back up a grade level or two for your child to understand the concepts. For example, my son is 11 yrs old, in 5th grade. We use R&S English 3, Spelling 3, Penmanship 2 ( needed serious help there), Saxon 3 and doing MFW Adventures, which is a 2nd/3rd grade program. I have to do things on his level, not go by grade level. And you know what? He does above grade level on his CAT 5 test every year, so I must be doing something right!

I think we as homeschoolers, beat ourselves up too much about wanting the perfect curriculum and our child to be on grade level with his public school peers. Each child is different. And no one loves your child and wants him to succeed more than you do.

It will all work out.:grouphug:

Kim

Kim,

Thank you so much for sharing. I know sometimes it is hard to be honest with others where are children lack and us as well it is so nice to hear encouragment from others and that you do well on testing also. My dh always tells me how can a test test accurately if you aren't testing on that specific curriculum. He says it is like comparing apples and oranges you can't do it. Yes we beat ourselves up bad. I appreciate you and this board more than you know. You are blessings to me and my family and taking out of your time to help me is awesome.

I couldn't afford another math program that I really wanted when I was in a similiar situation; but I talked with the creator of it and modified Saxon more to our liking- we do all the introductory problems together, five problems of the new concept - a few of the review ( these are conveniently numbered for you), tested and retaught if necessary - I used Time Tales to teach the facts he wasn't fluent on- we took a break - did cusenaire rods when he reached a wall and even Kumon workbooks when he needed more practice on Fractions, Geometry, Word problems. I would highly recommend the Kumon series- they are $6.95 a book