Menu

Questions about Anki

KJsMom

I need help. I read in a couple of threads about Anki for memory work. So I downloaded it and I'm not sure it is what I expected. Are your decks available to anyone? I'm seeing this huge list of downloads and many obviously have to be some child's review. How exactly does this work? Thank you to anyone who can help!

I need help. I read in a couple of threads about Anki for memory work. So I downloaded it and I'm not sure it is what I expected. Are your decks available to anyone? I'm seeing this huge list of downloads and many obviously have to be some child's review. How exactly does this work? Thank you to anyone who can help!

Anki takes some getting used to and the documentation is horrible.

Here's some tips for getting started.

Just use the desktop Anki. Don't bother with the online account or online synching. You can download other decks as a starting point to see how other people build decks, but most of the shared decks are from adults. If you just download a shared deck it is on your local computer and your changes/reviews are not available to anyone else.

If you want to experiment with importing facts, changing deck models, or changing card templates, work with a test deck first so that you don't accidentally mess up your real deck.

I highly recommend building your own deck (one per child) and keeping it on your own computer. Plus, if you want to use sound and pictures, the deck must be on your own computer. No one else can access the decks on your own computer.

If you input multiple cards on different subjects in advance, I also recommend setting the number of "New cards per day" to zero, and then manually picking which kids you want your kids to start as they are ready for them. For example, I put all of the multiplication facts in my deck at once; however, while Sparkle could memorize the 1 times, 2 times, and 10 times, she isn't ready to start the rest. As we cover other multiplication facts in her math lessons, I'll start those facts in Anki.

If there is enough interest, I can try sharing Sparkle's deck. However, many of her cards have graphics and sound which can't be shared and thus wouldn't work.

I can try sharing Sparkle's deck. However, many of her cards have graphics and sound which can't be shared and thus wouldn't work.

I went ahead and shared a stripped down version of Sparkle's deck. I have a funky way of setting up the graphics and sounds that isn't compatible with the way that Anki shares decks, so most of those files are missing. I think that there are maybe three graphic files that made it through the conversion process, so you can see how they work. (The American flag, a map of the world, and compass points.)

To get the deck, in Anki choose File -> Dowload -> Shared Deck.

Search for Sparkle Homeschool. Select it and click OK.

If anyone downloads my deck, I'd appreciate it if you let me know what you think.