Menu

supplementing public HS

My daughter is in 10th grade. I have considered hsing for several years but due to many reasons, have kept her in public school. My husband is not on board with the idea of homeschooling.

I am now at a maximum frustration level and praying for discernment on what's the best action for her. I feel as if I've let her down as her mother by not intervening sooner. Even if we don't bring her home, i feel we will need to supplement what she's already been "taught" in order to catch her up. Particularly in math and writing/language arts.

Any insight/recommendations on which texts would be appreciated. I have read some of Well Trained mind and skimmed other chapters but am feeling VERY overwhelmed!

She has completed Algebra 1 and geometry, but it has been a huge struggle and I'm not sure she really gets it. This year for English, she hasn't had to write a single paper!!!

thanks in advance for your assistance

You might want to try the Key To....series for supplementing math. They are quick, short lessons and not overwhelming. I do believe they have Key To Geometry as well as Alg. II. My dd13 is using Key to Alg. this year to supplement her Pre-Alg. study in ps b/c she was placed incorrectly and is sailing through Pre-Alg. (b/c she already did Pre-Alg. LAST year at home!). Anyway, I digress...As for writing...hmmm..have you looked at IEWs courses? They have an inexpensive essay writing book called The Elegant Essay: Building Blocks for Analytical Writing

http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/TEE

There is even a sample to download!

I haven't used it...but have heard good things about it. We used the Anc. Hist. based writing lessons from IEW and dd did enjoy them.

Now, if you are really concerned that your dd isn't getting a good enough education at the ps...have you shared this with your dh? Does he know what she is doing/not doing academically at ps? My dh wasn't really "on board" with dd13 coming back home for high school although he is on board with the general idea of homeschooling. He was concerned she would be "missing out" on the "experience". HAH! But, in the end, he did agree that we could give her a better, more tailor-made education at home...focusing on her strengths, future plans/goals and fine-tuning any areas of challenge for her....like writing! Good luck with whatever you decide...it is tough isn't it?