Menu

Math CD-ROMs for pre-algebra and beyond

Bostonian

Are there any CD-ROM (or DVD) based math courses people recommend for pre-algebra and beyond? I afterschool my son with Singapore Math, currently using book 5A. He enjoyed the Descartes Cove math software and also Newton's Quest. We have one PC with an internet connection, and one without, that I let him use unsupervised, and I have found that if install academic software, he usually works on it when the mood strikes him.

You may wish to ask this on the high school forum, since this is where most of the Algebra users are. I can't think of any CD-Rom ones at that level, but there might be something. There might also be some people with information on the Accelarated Learner Forum if your ds is younger than normal for Algebra, or on the Afterschool Forum.

Kinetic Books would be the most interactive. Not like a game, though. Yes they do have a "textbook", but it really is just all the online lessons printed out. Not very professional looking book either.In other words, nice to have if you want to go off screen for something, but doesn't really add any different perspective. Overall, though a fabulously thorough program that would be more of a mastery approach (periodic review and cumulative review, but not continual) Aleks math (online, google it to see how it works) is very good also. Good especially for kids that need continual review. Both of these are full time on computer. Teaching Textbooks is a hybrid....lessons on the computer OR in the book, exercises in the book to be done off computer, then check the solutions on the computer. For the record, I have one kid doing KB, and one doing Aleks. I like them both.