Menu

What margarine is dairy free? (making dinner for new mom and their ds has allergies)

Earth Balance is ok when you can find it. Smart Balance also had a vegan version. Check the label though--I don't know how likely cross contamination is.

Is there a way to avoid cooking with margarine altogether, or are you baking? If baking, I'd look for a vegan shortening instead--like Spectrum. I don't know how well Earth Balance handles the heat, but the Smart Balance vegan version (the one I found anyway) is just a spread--it doesn't do heat well at all.

Some varieties of Fleischmann's have no dairy.

A key way to tell if a product has dairy or not: if there is a kosher symbol (usually a u with an o around it, sometimes a k with an o around it, or a k with a star around it) and it has a D next to that, it has some kind of dairy ingredient (even in minute amounts). If it says 'pareve' it means NO DAIRY AT ALL. If it is just the plain symbol, no D, then it is also pareve (NO DAIRY).

People who keep kosher can't combine milk and any meat products, so we need to know if there is even a minute dairy ingredient. This is our way of knowing.

Fleischmann's stick margarine which has an O-U Pareve is fine. Some varieties of Smart Balance also are pareve. If you live anywhere near a kosher market, you will be able to find margarine there.

Fleischmann's Unsalted Margarine

That is what we use.,. DS1 allergic to dairy, egg, peanut.

BUT read labels.. a friend told me at her grocery store (different state) hers had whey in it.. aka dairy.. so read lables

Some Blue Bonnets are safe too I think,,

Keep all ingredient lables for mom to read.. and dont be offended if he doesn't eat it.. cross contamination from your kitchen could be enough for him to have a reaction.. so they migh bring food for him to eat.. or only eat food that they see being prepared.

Sorry for typos - nursing at keyboard!

Margarine

Check for the "U" and "Pareve" or "Parve" on these products.

We always buy Fleischmann's when they are on sale. We freeze the sticks in the freezer. When we need more margarine, we take one out of the freezer and thaw it in the refrigerator. We don't use margarine anymore (if we do, it's only in frosting-which isn't very often).

NOTE: For one stick (1/2 cup) of unsalted margarine, add 3/8 of a teaspoon of salt (a heaping 1/4 teaspoon) to the recipe. (I always use 1/4 teaspoon on salt for recipes that call for 1 3/4 to 2 cups of flour.)

Benecol Spread It also reduces cholestrol. It is also gluten-free.

Earth Balance Including Soy Garden.

Fleischmann's Unsalted margarine stick and Light spread are GFCF and cholesterol free. They have (U) Pareve on the labels. Note: the other two types are not dairy-free (CF). The light spread has xanthan gum in it (which is most likely from corn since I react to it). Beatrice Group The equipment that the Fleischmann's dairy-free margarine's are produced on are cleaned so it won't have any dairy products in them. 1-800-988-7808 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-988-7808 end_of_the_skype_highlighting EST

Hain Safflower Oil Margarine

Nucoa Margarine

Shedd's Willow Run Margarine

Smart Balance: Smart Squeeze™ Fat-Free Margarine and Smart Beat® Super Light Margarine

All of GFA Brands are gluten free.

Trader Joe's Natural Margarine is GFCF.

op here! I'm just going to be using the margarine when making a roast chicken- just to rub over it etc.

I saw someone mention Benecol- we do have that one at home. dh uses it for his cholesteral. would it work in this case? or is it too nasty?

I appreciate the many suggestions! This way I have several choices to search for at the grocery store tomorrow (if the Benecol won't be good to use). Thanks so much!

op here! I'm just going to be using the margarine when making a roast chicken- just to rub over it etc.

I saw someone mention Benecol- we do have that one at home. dh uses it for his cholesteral. would it work in this case? or is it too nasty?

I appreciate the many suggestions! This way I have several choices to search for at the grocery store tomorrow (if the Benecol won't be good to use). Thanks so much!

You can use olive oil for that. No chance of dairy there since it would not be very unlikely to be processed on the same equipment. Add something like Spike seasoning or even just a little salt for flavor (unlike butter, olive oil is more bland). I use it when roasting veggies--at higher temps.