Menu

CLE vs Saxon Math

pamd

I am using Saxon. There is nothing "cutsie" or picturesque with the older levels. I used MUS prior to beginning Saxon. I was not comfortable with the beginning elementary levels. There are, however, well designed lessons and lots of practice - cds - extra word problems, etc. Saxon is the popular "oldy but goody". I suppose that would be a good descriptor. As for the teaching or academic progression, you must teach, and the lessons build with repetition.

My oldest is gone, having completed algebra, and algebraII of Saxon. She took her GED to start college. She scored exceedingly high on both LA and Math sections of the GED.

I've used Saxon 1, 5/4 and 6/5. I'm currently using CLE 500 and 700.

Saxon almost killed us. It's a very thorough program but my kids hated it. They hated the mental math at the beginning and they hated having to write everything out on their papers. They hated the way things were beat to death with review and review and review, and how "no nonsense" it was.

We've been using CLE for just over 3 weeks and it's much better tolerated (by me and the dc!). I like the workbook they can write in much better, as do they. Right now our biggest problem has been concepts that are introduced earlier in CLE that they haven't covered yet so we're playing a little catch-up. (I didn't want to buy an entire year's worth of math to teach metric system and ratio/proportion that he missed on the diagnostic tests. So, it's a little more teacher-intensive right now than I would like). But, I have full confidence this will get better in a few weeks!

Both seem to be good, spiral, thorough programs with the difference being in format (textbook/workbook) and scope & sequence. By the time you get to high school they have covered all the same topics.

So, for whatever my 2 cents is worth:tongue_smilie:.

I've used both - Saxon K-3 and CLE 1-5.

Differences:

-Saxon uses manipulatives, but CLE uses really well done graphics to accomplish the same thing imo

-Saxon has side A and B of one worksheet. They are exactly the same format. Doing one side isn't enough, and two sides is boring bc you just did it! CLE has several pages of a variety of problems sets.

-I would say Saxon is incremental with continuous review and CLE is spiral.

I greatly prefer CLE sunrise for elementary math over Saxon.

Also,

CLE is only Sunrise through grade 8. But, you can move on to Algebra after grade 7. I will (probably) move to Saxon Algebra after CLE 8, bc my son is using it a year ahead. My daughter can quickly cover CLE 8 over the summer before starting Algebra in 8th also.

HTH!

Thanks. I am losing most of my hair. Hsling can be crazy. I don't understand how my ds made honor roll and math awards and has so many issues with basic skills or what I call holes. Now I am scrabbling trying to find what curriculum fits. I have spent so much $$$ it isn't even funny any more. Lost, confused, and feeling helpless. I am using Saxon Math 54. R&S 4, AAS, A reason for handwritting. I feel like my ds still doesn't have a good grasp on addition, and behind on math from spending time learning multiplying and that is not with 2 digits yet. lol He does not like reading and hates writing. Any suggestions. Losing my mind as well as mind.:confused::001_huh::willy_nilly: