Menu

Favorite Logic program for newbies?

Can someone recommend a logic program for a student who has never studied logic or a mom either?

My dd is going into 10th grade

In 10th, you could do both Thinking Toolbox and Fallacy Detective in a semester or less and then move into book 1 of Traditional Logic. With a quick review in 11th grade, you could then move into Book 2 of TL and take 2/3 to 3/4 of the year working through it.

We love, love, love Introductory Logic by Wilson and Nance. It is so clear! The lessons are short, introducing concepts little by little. We use the dvd's along with the workbook and answer key. This is my second time through it, and I just can't say enough good about it :D Ds 15 loves it as well. He enjoyed Thinking Toolbox and Fallacy Detective also, and IL is a wonderful next step.

In 10th, you could do both Thinking Toolbox and Fallacy Detective in a semester or less and then move into book 1 of Traditional Logic. With a quick review in 11th grade, you could then move into Book 2 of TL and take 2/3 to 3/4 of the year working through it.

Where can I see samples of Tradional Logic?

Where can I see samples of Tradional Logic?

Jean gave you the link. We went with it after much deliberation, in part on the recommendation of Tina in Ouray (not sure if she posts anymore) who was/is one of the logic gurus on the forum/old boards. I bought it with the lectures. They are virtually the same as the text, so my eldest only listened to one of them. However, I'm quite confident that at least one of my other two dc will listen to them. My ds is most likely to benefit from hearing as well as reading based on what he's been like so far (but he's still 9, so we'll see.) She finised TL 1 last semester, and I'm planning to get 2 for next year.

Traditional Logic for wordy people

Nance's Logic for mathy people

My son is wordy and has learned a lot from Traditional Logic. The video are BOOOOORRRRING, but the program is well-designed.

Fallacy Detective, for you son, I think I would have him read it for fun over the summer. It's a light read.

I'm going to go ahead and confess...Fallacy Detective gets on my nerves! It's junior high tone does not impress my kids, and I think it's difficult to teach. I've used it for three dc, but I'm looking for something else.

For my upcoming 7th grader I'm going to try The Art of Argument. I have not used it yet, but the table of contents seems to include all of the same fallacies in FD. The material is presented in a format that IMHO will spark more dialog with my dc.

http://www.christianbook.com/argument-introduction-informal-fallacies-student-revised/aaron-larsen/9781600510182/pd/510183

I have used Traditional Logic with my three teens for the 9th grade.

Leanna