Menu

teaching CO. dvd's

Please tell me more about these dvd's.. I went and tried to glance at them at the website it seems they are lectures on dvd? The prices seem pretty steep on some of them, so im curious as to what they are, how you use them, and if you can get them cheaper anywhere else...

Look forward to hearing from you :)

Christina

TC lectures are fantastic!

As for cost - NEVER purchase unless they are on sale!! They all go on sale at least once a year. Also, the sets (2 titles sold together) are a little less expensive than buying them separately. Also, check your library - some libraries carry some titles. If you have Netflix (I don't) see if you can find any there.

I've not listened to any on CD because I'm a visual learner, but several that I have watched have little to none extra "visuals" (such as artwork, maps, etc.), so CDs are a less expensive option. I really like the art and maps when they are included.

I watch them when I exercise, so I'm not as attentive as I should be, but I still pick up quite a bit.

I received a catalog and just picked a couse to start with. I come here because I am trying to educate myself, and I chose Foundations of Western Civilization I as my 1st course. It was a perfect fit for me. The Professor is Thomas Noble and i really like his teacing style. I also like everything I've gotten from Professor Rufus Fears.

I suggest you look through the website to find out what you might like and then ask others here for their ideas on courses and professors. If you view very many of the lectures, you will probably find some you like and some you don't. I wouldn't let one bad experience keep me away from trying some more.

Best wishes.

Yeah, they're really pricey for what they are. If you really want to own them, they do have sales now and then.

We've always gotten them at the library. They're quick enough that you can get through them before they need to go back. The library doesn't get the DVDs -- they get the CDs because they're cheaper (unless it's something visual like art). The audio alone has worked fine for us.

Or you can do lectures from Berkeley or Yale or MIT or any of those other places that offer free courses online:

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/web/courses/courses/index.htm

http://oyc.yale.edu/

http://webcast.berkeley.edu/courses.php

I use them for teaching high school. I either get them on sale, used, or from the library. I have some already too. It is considerably less than taking a class at the CC here or most of the online ones. Also, for the science ones, we don't want to choose local homeschool providers since they teach science from a viewpoint different than ours. I consider the lectures to be on the level of 100 to 200 level classes in college. I would not consider them upper level courses, or at least the ones that I have viewed.