Menu

6.9 earthquake!

Yes, looooong quake, and the first time in nearly 40 years I've felt the ground roll quite like that beneath my feet and felt perhaps I should maybe stand under a doorway.

We moved here almost 1 year ago, just in time for a quake centered 2 miles from our house then. Now, my dh is out of town for business and THIS! It went on and on....Oh how I miss PA! It's very still there. None of this foolishness.

I handed out candy to my dc and told them how brave they are!

Earthquake = Candy

Michele in So Cal

Oh, poor Michele -- I'm sorry! Are you in the desert? Is everything ok in your house?

Well, until something really bad hits, I just look at these quakes as fun E-ticket rides. They don't freak me out half as much as the wildfires do. But -- we don't have to shovel snow or find cover from thunder storms!

lived here my whole life, this was maybe the longest I've felt, but not the scariest. nothing fell or broke. It is unusual to have the thought "should I go outside?" and still have it shaking after you finish the thought.

I'd take earthquakes over tornadoes and hurricanes any day.

lived here my whole life, this was maybe the longest I've felt, but not the scariest. nothing fell or broke. It is unusual to have the thought "should I go outside?" and still have it shaking after you finish the thought.

I'd take earthquakes over tornadoes and hurricanes any day.

I've been in California my whole life, but Baja for only a month.

The quake was even felt here in the Phoenix area! I was on my laptop downstairs, when my husband came downstairs and showed me that the dining room lamps were swinging back and forth, and there were waves in the pool. He felt it upstairs, and saw the miniblinds shake.

Wendi

We felt it on the LA/Orange County boarder; it was the longest earthquake I have ever felt, and have lived here my whole life. We all felt a bit sea-sick; it felt like we were out at sea. Apparently, there was also one up in Northern CA this afternoon too.

There was supposedly a pair of 4.0ish quakes in a typically seismically active area of Northern California about 5 minutes after the 7.2 in Baja. These have since disappeared entirely from the map, or been downgraded to miniscule.

I'm wondering if the original report of them was some sort of artifact from the Baja quake?

We have lived in Northern Baja for a few years now. I know o one other mom on the boards that lives very near me.

We live here! Do you live here or are you on vacation? It would be cool to have more WTM people here!:tongue_smilie:

I was 38 weeks pregnant with ds1 when the Loma Prieta earthquake (7.2) hit the SF Bay Area back in 1989. It was scary. We had one day of aftershocks several weeks later that was even scarier, I thought.

I was living in San Jose at that time and it was the scariest earthquake I was in!

I am so clueless. I was having a lively conversation w/ a group of teens at a park. None of us noticed it, although everyone else at the park apparently did. Because after we went back to the house, everyone at the house was talking about it...and the park people too...and my little group was saying, "What earthquake??"

We are in SD and it was quite a roller (upgraded to a 7.2 at the epicenter now, I think). One of my dds was crying, she was so scared (it was really the first earthquake she could remember). My dog was barking like crazy. The aftershock at 4:15 a.m. woke me up this morning. We are keeping all those in Baja in our thoughts today.

I was living in San Jose at that time and it was the scariest earthquake I was in!

Hey, we were neighbors -- I was in Campbell at the time! I had just sprawled out on the couch to watch my Giants play the A's in the World Series when it hit.

I knew my parents would be worried (they lived in Folsom), but I couldn't get phone contact for several hours, and then in the excitement, I accidentally dialed a number that was a hybrid of my sister's and my parents'. The agreement we had reached in line at the only pay phone that was working in the area was that each person got to talk to one person who would spread the word that they were safe. The very nice lady I reached in Grass Valley agreed to call my Mom for me. My Mom also got a call from a lady in Minnesota who told her that my brother was safe in Santa Clara. (His roommate had been able to reach his aunt.)

I grew up in the Bay Area -- I had never before been scared of earthquakes.

We are also in San Diego. We definitely felt it but it wasn't a violent jolt, rather more like little shocks. I first noticed the crockery rattling in the kitchen cupboards and then I realized everything else was also shaking, including the ground! First one here in California for us! Felt the aftershocks too!

I wanted to add too that I have had to take quick refuge while driving during a tornado warning back in Maryland and that was a lot more scary than this earthquake, but I don't think I want to experience any earthquakes stronger than this one either!

Oh how I miss PA! It's very still there. None of this foolishness. I handed out candy to my dc and told them how brave they are!

Earthquake = Candy

Michele in So Cal

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

That's why I live in Colorado. Hurricanes and tornados are one thing, but the ground is supposed to hold still already!!!!!!

:grouphug:

ETA: It's funny - I posted before I read the whole thread, and read all the people who would rather have an earthquake than a tornado. And snow???????? Pfffft. What's a little white fluffy stuff? I'd shovel any day of the week and twice on Sunday to get out of an earthquake.

Edited by Heidi7Sue
adding stuff

Friends in Catalina felt it also. Geez.....this whole ring of fire is so active these days...wonder if the BIG ONE is coming soon?

I've always heard that smaller (not that 7.2 is exactly small), more frequent earthquakes mean that the big one isn't imminent, because the pressure isn't building up to let loose all at once. True story? I'm no expert; I live out here in the middle of the country so I don't have to think about it.

That's why I live in Colorado.

I don't understand. Do you live in the flat part of Colorado? The Rocky Mountains got there somehow. Even the flat part of Colorado isn't that far from the Rockies, right?

I live in Utah. Dh's California grandparents moved to Utah, thought they were moving out of earthquake country, only to get a 5.something earthquake that knocked items off the pantry shelves within their first year. At the Smithsonian I saw a map that showed the earthquakes over the last 100 or so years. For every 10 earthquakes that California got, Utah got one. Probably Colorado is similar.