Menu

AP course/tests

Does anyone know if one can take an AP test without doing a course first? And how would the AP testing agency know one had DONE a course first?

This old mom is wondering about boning up on some American hst and/or other subjects and taking some AP exams so she doesnt have to take a semester long class for subjects she has TAUGHT for goodness sakes...

Does anyone know if one can take an AP test without doing a course first? And how would the AP testing agency know one had DONE a course first?

This old mom is wondering about boning up on some American hst and/or other subjects and taking some AP exams so she doesnt have to take a semester long class for subjects she has TAUGHT for goodness sakes...

If you want the college credit, only the AP exam score is needed. You can self-study and sit for any AP exam without taking an College Board approved AP class. You might want to hop over to AP Central at the College Board for more information. Also, (this board's mantra), check with the college you are looking at to determine whether college credit is awarded for APs and, if so, what numerical score is required on the exam.

HTH,

Lisa

Somewhere I heard/read that effective in 2007/2008 school year, that though a students may sit for the AP exam, they may not put "AP" on their transcript unless the student has been in an AP approved course. Homeschoolers can submnit lesson plans/syllabus and get approved in order to count the AP.

Did I misunderstand and the above is not correct?

Somewhere I heard/read that effective in 2007/2008 school year, that though a students may sit for the AP exam, they may not put "AP" on their transcript unless the student has been in an AP approved course. Homeschoolers can submnit lesson plans/syllabus and get approved in order to count the AP.

Did I misunderstand and the above is not correct?

Yes, that is how it works. You can always put the AP exam score on the transcript, but cannot list the course as an AP class unless it was audited through CB.

Lisa

So, can a class taken through PA Homeschoolers, called "AP Something" by them, be listed as "AP Something" on the transcript?

... and I'm definitely planning to have my kids take the actual AP exam after studying the material, but in theory if one took a class through PA Homeschoolers, and if the answer to my first question is yes, and the kid didn't take the AP exam at the end of the course for whatever reason, could the course still be called AP on the transcript? (I know PA HS will issue their own transcript for the course only if the student also takes the exam, but these questions are about our homemade transcripts.)

Thanks!

~Laura

So, can a class taken through PA Homeschoolers, called "AP Something" by them, be listed as "AP Something" on the transcript?

Because PA Homeschoolers has been through the audit process, you can use the AP designation on your transcript.

Regards,

Kareni

Hi Laura,

I am here in CA as well! According to my umbrella school administrator (private Christian school), we can only designate a course as AP (assuming it gets the green light from the College Board) if the student actually takes the test and (I think this is what she said!) scores at least a 3. That last bit might only apply to our specific school, however.

I am thinking through the AP idea as well for ds #2. Happy exploring!

Blessings,

April

Hi, Karen & April!

Thanks for the info! That sounds reasonable (about having to take the test). It's what I'm planning, at least! ;-)

And it's nice to know I can use AP in my transcript course title (if we have an approved course).

Yes, it's a lot of information to wade through. Thank you, Karen & April, for your help! I think I'm getting there ;-)

~Laura