Menu

Total Language Plus- opinions please

If you currently use or have used TLP literature guides for high school can you please tell me the pros and cons according to you?

Also, how long does it take to get through a novel using these guides? Our reading pace depending on the length of the books is anywhere from 1 week to 3 weeks, but on average 2 weeks. In the fall I will begin 9th grade with ds 13 (who will be 14 by then) and I have planned 18 novels. I'd like to do guides with about 5-9 of them and the rest just be for the sake of reading something that takes place in the time or topic of study.

I have looked at the samples of TLP on their website and I like what I see, but I couldn't find anything about how long it takes to get through one.

If you click on each individual title, it will give you a range, such as "Plan on six to nine weeks to complete this study."

I have only used their American Literature: Short Stories so far. It had three different lesson plans laid out, for AP, regular college prep, and as an overview.

HTH

Pros - some thought provoking questions

Cons - no answers to the in depth discussion questions (just the who did what type - sorry literary terms are escaping me at the moment).

We used them for Pride and Prejudice because there was no Progeny Press guide.

We prefer PP because there are many more analysis type questions and they include the answers to them...

HTH,

Joan

Hi Mary,

My son did a couple of novel studies with TLP in a group setting earlier in his high school and middle school career: The Scarlet Pimpernel and Pride and Prejudice. We enjoyed them both, although we primarily did them in a discussion format, since he was doing other lit as well. TLP really can be used as a complete language arts program, including grammar and spelling and essay ideas, as well as literature appreciation. If you only need or want literature guides, and you are wanting to move very quickly, TLP may be more than you need. If you would like to incorporate grammar, vocabulary and spelling into your lit program, TLP may well be perfect for you - but you would need to choose fewer novels to coer with it.

Hope this helps!

Blessings,

April

Hi Mary,

My son did a couple of novel studies with TLP in a group setting earlier in his high school and middle school career: The Scarlet Pimpernel and Pride and Prejudice. We enjoyed them both, although we primarily did them in a discussion format, since he was doing other lit as well. TLP really can be used as a complete language arts program, including grammar and spelling and essay ideas, as well as literature appreciation. If you only need or want literature guides, and you are wanting to move very quickly, TLP may be more than you need. If you would like to incorporate grammar, vocabulary and spelling into your lit program, TLP may well be perfect for you - but you would need to choose fewer novels to coer with it.

Hope this helps!

Blessings,

April

Thank you, this was good information. As usual the Language Arts are a thorn in my side and I can't seem to find the *perfect* curriculum for this. Every year it feels just not quite right and I end up hodgepodging things together myself.

I really like Progeny Press and have used them several times so perhaps I will just keep doing what I am doing and fly by the seat of my pants. LOL Ugh!