Menu

Help with WRTR

KJsMom

I just purchased the WRTR (thank you Janet!) and I have some questions from veteran users of the program. My dd 8 will be in 4th grade next year and I am wondering if I can or should use this program with her for spelling. She obviously did not learn to read with this system, is it difficult to pick up at this point? Are the benefits worth the trouble with an older child? I bought this for my younger child and am curious to know if my older could use it as well.

Thank you all for your help. I have read through the 4th edition, but my 5th edition came in today and it is much bigger! I think it may take me all summer to read it and figure out how to teach it to a 5 and 9 year old.

Thank you all for your help. I have read through the 4th edition, but my 5th edition came in today and it is much bigger! I think it may take me all summer to read it and figure out how to teach it to a 5 and 9 year old.

What exactly do you want to teach them with WRTR? I ask this only because I only use WRTR to teach how to read and how to spell. I use other things for grammar and writing skills. Much of the 5th edition is devoted to grammar/writing, and I ignore those parts. Too educationalese for me, and too much work. Too complicated.

I plan to use WRTR with my youngest to learn to read, write, and spell. We have been using ETC, but I am very interested in using WRTR. We have used R&S grammar for my oldest for 2 years now and I plan to continue with that. She is a good speller, but I have heard so many great things about this program that I thought it might be beneficial to her also.

What exactly do you want to teach them with WRTR? I ask this only because I only use WRTR to teach how to read and how to spell. I use other things for grammar and writing skills. Much of the 5th edition is devoted to grammar/writing, and I ignore those parts. Too educationalese for me, and too much work. Too complicated.

:iagree:

I love Spalding and admit to being a Spalding geek.:D But I'm not sure I'd use it to teach grammar and writing, mainly because it really is *very* teacher directed, and it's hard to be that directed in a multi-age setting.

But spelling, reading, penmanship, basic capitalization and punctuation, simple writing--basic Spalding--yeah, that's the best.

And even with just that, it does take some study time before being able to teach it. Remember that a *beginning* Spalding class for classroom teachers is almost 40 hours. Homeschoolers don't need to know that much, lol, but it will still take more than a weekend of reading to get started.

I plan to use WRTR with my youngest to learn to read, write, and spell.

I forgot - I also use it to teach printing and cursive.

My other bit of advice is that as you read and figure things out, start your own spelling notebook and memorize/test yourself on the phonograms. It will make things easier to teach.