Menu

Quick question

Willow

A quick question for Americans...I use American curriculum, and I just need to check (I have asked this before but I've lost where I wrote down the information)

A boy who will be 14 in July would be going into Grade 8 in September? Right? If I'm wrong could you let me know what grade he would be.

Thank you

Willow.

ETA: Albeit a young 9th grader. It could go either way.

I have a July birthday, and yes, I was 14 in 9th. I never heard anyone say July birthdays were "young" until I began visiting hsing discussion forums.:001_huh:

I would consider "young" to be, say, a November bday in a state where the cut-off date is December 2.

Guest Cindie2dds
I have a July birthday, and yes, I was 14 in 9th. I never heard anyone say July birthdays were "young" until I began visiting hsing discussion forums.:001_huh:

I would consider "young" to be, say, a November bday in a state where the cut-off date is December 2.

Well, before I had considered home schooling, I contacted our school district and the cut off was September 1st. Any child with a summer birthday could be almost a year younger, so it was the parent's choice.

It's definitely not the same in every state, let alone the different school districts. ;)

"They're" not consistent are they? In WA, I believe the cut-off was August 31 - which left me the dilemma of where to place my late October ds. He was ready for 1st so that's where we started him. Sometimes I question the wisdom of that move, but he is doing well and at grade level in most areas - lagging slightly behind in a couple, but quickly gaining ground.

Sorry. Don't mean to babble. It's late and I'm tired. :blink:

Ds missed the cut off in Texas by 9 days--Had to be 5 by Sept 1 to start K, and his bd is Sept 10th! Which left him one of the oldest (but not usually the oldest) in his class.

Is your son mature for his age? Do you want him to turn 18 right before college (should college be in the plan) or 19? Is there some reason you might find another year helpful for him (maybe work on an interest, fix a "gap," go slower or deeper...)?

These are questions I'd consider before deciding.