Menu

x post experience with Iowa Algebra Aptitude - is it accurate?

I thought some whose children are past K-8 might have done this test so I'm posting here too...

Dd just took this test and tested as ready to start Algebra, although she has not yet studied Pre-Algebra (just finished Saxon 76)...

Does anyone have experience with the accuracy of this test?

I don't know why I ordered this test and was going to send it back, but thought since I'd had is sent, I might as well try.

Now she's all excited about the concept of starting Algebra....But I don't want to start her too soon if she is not really ready.

Thanks,

Joan

Edited by Joan in Geneva

If she jumps to Algebra she will be missing some vital concepts...

This does not mean she does not have the minimum 'required' skills (add, subtract, multiply, divide)... but knowing what is taught in 7/6 and in Pre-Algebra (either Saxon 8/7, Algebra 1/2 or any other text) she has not had enough practice with multi-step reasoning...

My oldest daughters used Saxon for elementary. My middle dd is a 'gifted' student--and even she needed a Pre-Algebra course.

Please do not rush into Algebra.

I do not have much faith in the 'standardized' tests (from a former classroom teacher's prospective).

Jann

I thought some whose children are past K-8 might have done this test so I'm posting here too...

Dd just took this test and tested as ready to start Algebra, although she has not yet studied Pre-Algebra (just finished Saxon 76)...

Does anyone have experience with the accuracy of this test?

DS did the IAAT before we started NEM 1 (Singapore), but it was more like extra confirmation of what the placement test already said. So I guess that's yes and no... :) He tested ready and he was ready, but I'd still go with what the curriculum says, especially since there is some variation in what constitutes Pre-Algebra and Algebra in different curricula...

I don't know what that test is, I've not seen it. DD took the Saxon Placement Test when she was 10 and tested into the Algebra 1. We didn't feel like she was ready for Algebra, so did TT Pre-Algebra, then some Singapore and LoF Fractions, Decimals & Percents books. This year she did CLE Math. She now feels ready for Algebra 1 because she has the basics down and feels confident enough to move forward.

It's fun to say "I'm in Algebra 1!" But it's another thing to really have the basics down before starting Algebra 1 so you can truly succeed!

I am leary as I do not want to push her. I don't even read the accelerated boards. I was just wondering if she was getting bored as she says the program is so easy.

I had bought Dolciani Pre-Algebra etc. What are the vital concepts that are taught at that level - maybe we could just hit those?

..it was not add subtract stuff though. Here is a description...except this is not quite right as there were 60 questions to be done in 40 minutes, but it had the four parts and they sound right content wise.

Content Description

Using the Standards from the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics as a guide, a pool of items was generated and tried out. This led to the construction of two equivalent forms of the IAAT, each containing a total of 63 items to be completed in 36 minutes. Each form consists of the following four parts.

Part A: Interpreting Mathematical Information assesses how well a student can learn new material presented graphically or textually.

Part B: Translating to Symbols requires students to choose an algebraic expression or equation that is the translation of a short verbal setting (word problem).

Part C: Finding Relationships presents a relationship between two sets of numbers in a table, and the students must find the general rule for the relationship.

Part D: Using Symbols tests whether a student has any common algebraic misconceptions.

Thanks for any additional info!

Joan

Edited by Joan in Geneva