Menu

Geometry tutorial or at home...help me decide?

I'm signing ds up for a physical science course at a local tutorial next year (9th grade), and I'm trying to decide if I should have him take geometry there also.

Pros: convenient time of class, relatively affordable, ds needs a dvd teacher at least - I can't teach it.

Cons: Not my first choice in texts (Prentice Hall), costs more than Jacob's Geometry with dvd, I'm not yet familiar with the teacher's teaching ability.

Anything else I need to consider? What would you do?

my biggest concern would be whether you're comfortable grading the daily work and tests, particularly the proofs. There is rarely, if ever, just one correct way to get from the given information to the proven statement. If you're not up to speed, it can prove very frustrating for you and your student.

If you are not comfortable in grading proofs, I'd opt for having him take it at school, or hire tutor if you prefer to use the Jacobs text. I really fumbled geometry with my oldest. With the next child, we used Teaching Textbooks, but still had to deal with grading those pesky proofs when his answers didn't exactly match the grading key, since there are alternate ways to do proofs. I was relieved when my third child took geometry at the local public school.

Hope this helps,

Dawn