Menu

Has you highschooler read the R section of Wtm?

I am wondering if I should give certain sections to my rising 9th grader to read this summer so we are on the same page. My concern is that it might be overwhelming to her. I mean I know plenty of adults that are afraid of WTM.

What says the hive? Has anyone tried this?

Edited by M&M
spellling

I made copies of some parts of the rhetoric stage subjects and went over them with our dc at various times. They weren't overwhelmed, but they may have been older than your dc.

I mostly emphasized the processes, which I typed up and gave to each dc. I did the same thing with the essential booklists. I didn't include all the extra books in some subjects, like science. I tried to stick to the absolutely essential.

I also saved all lists on a thumb drive .... just in case any of them lose theirs. ;) They liked having their own lists so they can see where they're headed, and for jotting down any notes about the materials and books. Last year we all sat down with the GB's list and went through it book by book. Any dc (and myself) who had already read a book told us what they thought about it and if it was a total waste of time. The other dc jotted down notes on their own GB's lists for future reference to help decide how much time to spend on each book.

It might actually be overwhelming to some kids to ask them to read the rhetoric sections of WTM, however. I know it was very overwhelming to me when I first read WTM. I had to read and reread and take notes and outline - forever. I only did the above with our dc after they'd been doing WTM for a several years.

HTH

Edited by ksva

I made copies of some parts of the rhetoric stage subjects and went over them with our dc at various times. They weren't overwhelmed, but they may have been older than your dc.

I mostly emphasized the processes, which I typed up and gave to each dc. I did the same thing with the essential booklists. I didn't include all the extra books in some subjects, like science. I tried to stick to the absolutely essential.

I also saved all lists on a thumb drive .... just in case any of them lose theirs. ;) They liked having their own lists so they can see where they're headed, and for jotting down any notes about the materials and books. Last year we all sat down with the GB's list and went through it book by book. Any (older) dc who had already read a book told us what they thought about it and if it was a total waste of time. The other dc jotted down notes on their own GB's lists for future reference to help decide how much time to spend on each book.

It might actually be overwhelming to some kids to ask them to read the rhetoric sections of WTM, however. I know it was very overwhelming to me when I first read WTM. I had to read and reread and take notes and outline - forever. I only did the above with our dc after they'd been doing WTM for a several years.

HTH

Kathy,

I love these ideas! This is what I had in mind. I think this will help her understand the process, and the goal we are working toward.

Thanks