Menu
ATTENTION: Forums search will not work until re-indexing is completed. Please follow these instructions for search

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AudreyTN

Joy Hakim's History of US

We've just used it as a read aloud and added it to our studies when needed. I believe there are lesson plans somewhere, but I may be wrong.

You can buy teacher guides and an assessment book. Also her site will have some lesson plans coming soon. We are going to use this, this year and I think I am going to go the read aloud add some activities route.

My dc read it independently or we listened to it on tape. While I didn't test on it, the reading formed part of the basis of our history discussion so I expected my dc to know it. Sometimes, my dc followed their reading with a written narration or an appropriate writing prompt.

Lisa

I have the Teaching Guides and they have it broken up by chapter sections. There are questions for each section, and I typed them up for the kids each week - with osme of my own added in, and they read and answered them independently. I also bought the Hewitt lesson plans which have a test for each book. And after each book they also did a project (Hewitt has a 3 page list of project ideas.) I love how these books are written, and I found 7-8 is a good time to use them independently (we used them in 3-4 w/ Sonlight but I didn't find they got much out of them or even remembered anything from then).

How do you use it? Is it pretty much just a read aloud?

TIA:bigear:

I use it. . .and my schedule for it is on my blog. . .however, I mix Am. Govt' and Econ in with it. . . so it's slightly "light" seeming for a highschooler. (The schedule is only for history, not the other two.)

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER & RECEIVE A COUPON FOR
10% OFF
We respect your privacy.You’ll hear about new products, special discounts & sales, and homeschooling tips. *Coupon only valid for first-time registrants. Coupon cannot be combined with any other offer. Entering your email address makes you eligible to receive future promotional emails.
0 Shares
Tweet
Pin