Menu

x-post Lials BCM over two years?

But there are so many good middle school math programs out there--that I would do one more year of 'middle school math' (probably a 7th grade program) then use BCM to fill in any gaps--and starting Algebra 1 when you are finished (even if it goes into 8th grade a little bit).

I really really don't like rushing--and I don't like using a harder program 'slowly' over an extended time... when an age/level appropriate program will do a much better job teaching AND encouraging (as opposed to frustrating) a young student. I think middle school (and most high school) students learn better when they are introduced to a concept one year--then the next it is reviewed and a little more is taught about it (digging deeper)--rinse and repeat.

I really like BCM--but I hesitate using it with students younger than 8th grade.

Following up on Jann's post regarding the use of BCM with younger students.

Because BCM was written as a college remedial text, I find that younger students do not always relate to the word problems in the book. The applications in traditional texts may be more relevant to these younger students.

Is this your experience as well, Jann?

Most of the word problems in BCM are on par with traditional PS Pre-Algebra texts--but there are a few--usually at the very end of the lesson--that require advanced 'logical reasoning' that most middle school students do not have yet.

When I see a young student working through BCM I suggest to the teacher/parent to assign the word problems based on the TEST. Lial teaches ABOVE the test--and those tough word problems are part of the 'above'.

I don't necessarily suggest skipping all of them--but I would work WITH the student--and not expect them to do it all on their own.

---

As far as layout goes, younger students will benefit from the lessons being broken down into smaller pieces--even though you 'can' break BCM down by using the 'examples'--a good middle school text will break the pieces down into small DAILY chunks--providing more practice with foundational problems...(this is best for the year BEFORE Pre-Algebra--6th or 7th grade). The year that the student works BCM will be much easier--and BCM will become the tool it was meant to be--one that fills in (and catches) any gaps and reviews that 'one more time'.... instead of it being the ONLY course the student takes on these concepts.

I hope this makes sense...

Jann