Menu

Question about high school credits, electives.

I'm trying to map out a plan for high school for ds, who is in 7th grade now. Our state only requires three social studies credits, but one must be American history, one must be world history, and there must be 1/2 credit each of government and economics. This doesn't work out so well for someone like me, who is looking at doing a 4-year history cycle from 9th - 12th. In order to fit the 4-year cycle in, plus the required 1/2 credit of government, 1/2 credit of economics, That will be 5 credits.

My question is, if we do 5 credits of social studies as follows:

1 Ancient World History

1 Medieval World History

1 Early American History

1 Modern American History

1/2 government

1/2 economics,

Do the extra credits count as electives? In other words, say Medieval History and Early Modern History are electives, but the others are fulfilling the social studies requirement? Or will he have to do those for "no credit", and do something else as electives? Is an elective just any class beyond the requirements? Or does it have to be different from the core required classes? Am I making sense? :001_huh:

Wendi

Okay, thanks. That's what I figured. I just realized how packed ds's schedule was starting to look with 4 yrs. of social studies PLUS all the electives. Then I wanted to make sure I could count the "extra" classes as electives.

Wendi