Menu

Persuasive Paper Topics - HELP!

I have listened to SWB's high school writing CD, and I am trying to implement the idea of persuasive papers. The trouble is, I keep getting thesis statements from my 15yo that aren't thesis statements, but that are factual statements. I guess she's still in a summarizing mindset. I have tried having her list the topics she has read on for the week, then brainstorming questions that come to mind, then using those to craft a thesis statement, but it is still a struggle. Btw, we've been attempting these papers for ~4 weeks now.

Any suggestions? Thank you SO much!!

Shelly

I'm using The Lively Art of Writing right now with my kids, which addresses the thesis statement so well.

A thesis statement must be an opinion that can be argued. A fact as you stated, can be proven.

Something the book covers that I find particularly helpful in writing persuasive papers is to write your thesis statement. Then write three statements supporting your side and three statements that someone else may use against your side.

Is she trying to find topics based on what she's studying? It might help to give her a topic first and let her write a couple of persuasive papers based on that topic before she ventures in to generating her own topic.

If you need ideas for topics please post again. I know there was a recent post regarding this too.

You may find it easier to introduce a persuasive paper and thesis on a topic that she likes and is easy instead of on something she is studying. Once she gets more used to writing a persuasive paper then have her move onto topics she is learning about. For example, perhaps she could write on easy topics that don't have to require a lot of research, such as:

Children should/should not have a pet

A student should/should not be allowed to have a cell phone (or video games, etc.)

A student should/should not have a part time job during high school

A high school student should/should not have a tattoo (or dye hair or get piercings)

These are topics your dd can probably discuss, then come up with reasons to support her opinion. Work with her on how to create a thesis. She could do some research and find studies to support her statements, or you could allow her to use reason and logic at this point. The goal is not so much grade level content as to learn to write a thesis, develop points, support those points, address dissenting opinions on the topic, and write a strong conclusion. Once she is comfortable doing these things on a simple level help her work on more content heavy persuasive papers based on current events or on her studies.

I have listened to SWB's high school writing CD, and I am trying to implement the idea of persuasive papers. The trouble is, I keep getting thesis statements from my 15yo that aren't thesis statements, but that are factual statements. I guess she's still in a summarizing mindset. I have tried having her list the topics she has read on for the week, then brainstorming questions that come to mind, then using those to craft a thesis statement, but it is still a struggle. Btw, we've been attempting these papers for ~4 weeks now.

Shelly

Is she making a factual statement or is she making a thesis statement that appears to be a factual statement? If it's the former, then she just needs to understand that it needs to be something debatable. "Frogs are amphibians," isn't debatable. Did you have her listen to SWB's lecture? I know she talked about various paper topics and why they are good or bad.

Shelly

Sure.

The key word is "ABOUT."

Example:

Let's say your kid chooses a general subject: "Mom, I want to write about [global warming, abortion, gun control, Miley Cyrus being so irritating, whether Amy Winehouse will live to her forties, whether Avatar should've gotten the Oscar, or why won't Club Penguin just GO AWAY...]."

Okay... What do you think ABOUT global warming, ABOUT gun control, ABOUT abortion, ABOUT Miley Cyrus' irritation level, ABOUT Amy Winehouse's predicted lifespan, and so on.

Let's say your kid manages to dodge the "about" test. "Here's what I think about global warming: that it's when the world gets warmer."

Yank 'em back: "Nope...what do you feel about it, what's your opinion about it, is it good or bad, harmful or helpful, true or false, right or wrong?"

Get your child to make a judgment ABOUT the subject, whatever it is. My suggestion to help this out? Start writing thesis statements -- just a list of thesis statements about a random list of topics from the important to the trivial, but in each one, your child should express a judgment ABOUT that topic. Have the statements begin with "I think," even though you'll probably edit first person out of the final research paper.

Example:

TOPIC____________BASIC THESIS ABOUT THE TOPIC -- "I think..."

1. Country music ________________I think that country music is repetitive.

2. Family Guy___________________I think that Family Guy evokes shameful laughter.

3. Brangelina____________________I think Brangelina is/are overexposed.

4. Justice_______________________I think justice can only be achieved rationally.

5. Individualism__________________I think individualism is more important than group conformity.

See what I mean? Does that help?