Menu

Financial Aid question?

Since many of us are in same boat, we found out acceptances, and making decisions.

My quest. is , do you take the info. and make your declines, or do you take top two and play them against each other, and I havent dealt w/Financial aid dpt. yet.

Do I call Fin Aid and ask how much they might give?

Well, with DD we didn't have this situation. She was accepted into every paramedic program and nursing school within any kind of reasonable driving range plus several out of state. However, not all paramedic programs are created equal (she chose that route instead of going to nursing school immediately) so we chose the one that was head and shoulders above the rest...but that meant no scholarships. They do not ever give financial aid. You either have the money or you don't.

When I was in college, I was accepted everywhere I applied. The top tier school, even with a lot of scholarships, was unaffordable for me but I used my acceptance there as leverage to get more considerations from my 2nd and third choice schools. Ended up with an extra $3000.00 per year from 2nd choice school because I showed them my acceptance letter and financial aid award from the top tier school. So, I got into the best that I could afford. That said, I am not certain how financial aid departments work at colleges these days.

I think it would also depend on the major declared. If that major only has a few spots open and lots of quality people applying, then trying to pit one against another might backfire as the two colleges have a large pool to draw from. However, if they are desperately trying to fill a major from a small pool and are determined to choose from their first choice students, you might have some leeway.

Faith

Speaking as someone who once worked in the financial aid office at a Big 10 university, it never hurts to explain the situation and ask if there is anything else that could be added to the financial aid package. Don't expect any public universities to be able to alter their award package much, though. Private universities have a lot more flexibility than public schools.

Speaking as someone who once worked in the financial aid office at a Big 10 university, it never hurts to explain the situation and ask if there is anything else that could be added to the financial aid package. Don't expect any public universities to be able to alter their award package much, though. Private universities have a lot more flexibility than public schools.

So, do you ask the admissions counselor or the financial aid dpt?

So, do you ask the admissions counselor or the financial aid dpt?

For most students, I'd say just go through the financial aid dpt. If the student has some special skill (sports, certain majors, music, etc.) that makes them a particularly strong applicant, I'd suggest starting with a person at the college in that area, but only if there is someone you've been in regular contact with through the application process. They might be aware of some special monies, or at least have some pull in increasing the financial aid package. If there is not a coach/professor you'd feel comfortable contacting, then contact admissions. Admissions will generally be more aware of how important a student is to the incoming class than the financial aid dept.

I would ask serious questions about any money they offer though. When I went to college, I was given extra monies at one college and that was part of the reason I went. We didn't ask many questions and I only found out later than most of the extra money I received was for one year only. The idea was that if they could get you to the college, you would be hooked and not want to transfer out. I had to transfer out later because without the extra money I couldn't pay for the school.

I would talk to financial aid as well. There are sometimes some pretty quirky scholarships available with some odd stipulations- like the recipient has to be from a particular county or had to have been a member of certain organizations in high school. Often those are small endowments given as a memorial by families but every $300 or so can add up to make a big difference.

I also recommend that you talk to financial aid ASAP. Most scholarships will be given out before this semester ends and students go home for the summer.