Menu

High School Science question. Not Physical Science in 9th?

it has been a while since I did high school. I have an upcoming 6th grader and looking ahead to our Science sequence for middle and high school.

I see that many people no longer do Physical Science in Grade 9? If you do that in Grade 8, how do colleges know that you have completed Physical Science? Or is that not a requirement anymore?

What is the sequence of Science in grades 9-12 now?

Right now we were planning on doing CPO Earth for 6th, Life for 7th and Physical for 8th.

So does this mean we can go right into Biology in 9th?

We are probably going to do Apologia for high school, like my other child did. Thanks

College requirements are usually stated as x number of credits of science (with a certain number of those being lab sciences), and the numbers vary from college to college. I've never seen a requirement for Physical Science (and back when I was in school, Physical Science was 8th grade; it wasn't offered in high school.)

My experience from nosing around on college websites and doing college applications (ds is a senior), is that colleges typically want to see biology, chemistry and physics in high school, and they like to see advanced courses.

I think your plan for 6th, 7th and 8th looks great. And yes, I'd go ahead and do biology in 9th. Then that leaves you an extra year to do an advanced or AP science.

I highly recommend that you do chemistry before biology. All the high school biology texts nowadays start right off with some heavy biochemistry that's very rough going when you haven't had high school level chemistry yet.

My two older girls both did biology in 9th and I won't do that again. I thought that switching to a different publisher would make it better for my middle dd, but that wasn't enough.

I highly recommend that you do chemistry before biology. All the high school biology texts nowadays start right off with some heavy biochemistry that's very rough going when you haven't had high school level chemistry yet.

There is a movement called Physics First which promotes teaching science in this sequence: physics > chemistry > biology.

If you do a search on these boards you'll find a number of discussions about this.

I had physics first--I personally wouldn't recommend it, b/c I didn't have the math needed to really get a rigorous course. I had it in 10th grade, and was taking Algebra 2 with it. I wish I had completed Alg 2 before I took it. Of course, I also wasn't very good in math...lol!

To the OP--If you are doing Apologia Bio, there's no need for Chem first. The Chem isn't that hard, tho, so you could do it first if you wanted to (as long as your child can do the math needed to balance equations and do conversions).

I keep seeing many posts about CPO in high school as well. And Conceptual Physics.

I looked for the pricing on the Conceptual Physics Course, and is a textbook REALLY $117.00?????

If I wanted to stay in a Secular Science, what science sequence could I use with CPO and the Hewitt books? And also get in an AP Science course?

Thank you ladies!

There is a movement called Physics First which promotes teaching science in this sequence: physics > chemistry > biology.

If you do a search on these boards you'll find a number of discussions about this.

:001_huh: Really? I thought the order was Biology, Chemistry, Physics because of the math levels needed for each subsequent course! So, how would that work?

:001_huh: Really? I thought the order was Biology, Chemistry, Physics because of the math levels needed for each subsequent course! So, how would that work?

The Physics would be Conceptual Physics if it begins the sequence. If the student is gearing for a STEM (science-technology-engineering-math) major he/she could then take Calculus-based Physics as a fourth science in the sequence.

I agree most of what I have seen is Biology for 9th, chemistry in 10th and then physics.

Many colleges like to see a fourth year for eithier Adv Biology, Adv Chem or Adv Physics or Marine Biology or Anatomy and Physiology, especially for those thinking anything medical.

We are doing Apologia and have decided (my current thinking subject to change):001_smile: to do Biology (we did this year for ninth and dd LOVES IT) chmistry next and then going onto Anatomy and Phisology so she can take the SAT II test for Biology after her juinor year. We will then do Physics for 12th grade.

K

PS we did Physical science in eigth which for Apologia has a some Physics in it.

Many of our area public schools offer physical science for high school credit. These students often take biology and then botany and never take a math based science. It might be okay for high school credit, but not for someone majoring in any science, math, or technology related field. Also, if physical science is done in 9th grade and biology in 10th, it only leaves rooms for one year of chemistry and one year of physics or two years of chemistry but not both advanced chemistry and physics unless they are taken concurrently.

Concurrent science credits are just fine, but it can be challenging to have two math based sciences in addition to the fourth year of math (if trig is chosen) all at once.

We did physical science with dd in 8th and will do the same for the three boys. DS 13 has an interest in Biology. By doing it this way, He can get both biology and advanced biology in plus chemistry and advanced chemistry. Advanced biology is usually Anatomy and Physiology and requires a year of chemistry first. So, its important to plan the years out so make sure that the prerequisite is completed ahead of time.

DS would like to do Marine Biology as well so we may allow him to take it concurrently with chemistry after biology. That will leave him advanced chem his junior year and then he can take Anatomy and Physiology his senior year without doubling up. In our homeschool plans, we try to have the senior year a little lighter to make room for volunteering, travel, and career exploration.

Faith