Menu

If you like Lial's Introductory Algebra (7th ed) better than Foerster's, why?

I'm in the midst of picking my dd's algebra book. I bought a used Foerster's which I really like the look of, and I also just received the above-mentioned Lial's.

In looking them over, I prefer the style of Foerster's. I like the way he explains things, and the text itself is appealing. The Lial's book seems to cater to visual learners, which sometimes is distracting. But I do like the real-life problems and I see that it has a lot of additional help available should my dd need it.

At this time I'm leaning toward Foerster - but for those of you who have used them, any reason why I should pick Lial?

Thanks,

Diane

Lial was designed for more 'independent' learning--so the explanaitions and examples are more detailed...it is also made for block scheduling--each lesson worked over 2 days...

Foerster's is a typical traditional PS text. It has daily lessons--but some may take an extra day. It has a mini-lesson but was designed to be 'taught' so the mini-lesson is supplemental (meaning an independent learner may need some occasional assistance).

Both texts were made to the same 'standards' of content...both are good!

I use Lial in my online classes--because it is easy for me to adapt to a wide range of learning styles... I have had Algebra and Geometry students who used Foerster's Algebra 1--and they were well grounded in their skills... I do prefer the way Lial teaches word problems (chart method)--but that is easy to learn if you decide to use Foerster and your student needs a different method...I prefer my own method for factoring quadratics (FOIL method)... you can e-mail me and I can send you a link if you ever need that.

Use what YOU and YOUR STUDENT are comfortable with...sounds like you prefer Foersters.