Menu

Studies of Faith/Religion?

Pam B

I'm interested in my children learning about other religions, and beliefs. Is there a book or something I can look into. My kids will be 11, 12, and 14 years old.

I need something history based, I think. Something that will allow them to understand where others are coming from, so they can be respectful of other faiths.

I would love to know this as well.

I remember reading a fiction story about a family who studied a different religion or branches of religion and actually practiced that religion for a month. It was written as a comedy but I remember being intrigued.

There's a work of fiction by C. Clement called Theo's Odyssey (check here) which they might like reading at some point of your studies, perhaps even as a sort of general introduction. It's a story about an ill boy who travels around the world and meets different religions and different approaches to God, it's very suitable for middle school aged children in my opinion (even for the older ones), not overly complex, yet insightful.

I do recommend you, however, to study what each religion says for itself that they are, rather than what they seem to be from the point of view of some other religion or culture. It would be brilliant if you could browse Jewish materials when teaching Judaism rather than Christian ones who explain it, etc. - try to find materials aimed at children from that culture which explain what their religion is about, it should be a lot more insightful experience. The trick with history based books is that they usually disregard this.

Edited by Ester Maria

Also, Kingfisher has out a series now. I only have the book on Judaism and haven't seen the others yet. It's written by Trevor Barnes. Series is: World Faiths. Title is just: Judaism. ISBN: 0-7534-5883-7. These are perhaps more comprehensive than the Usborne or DK books.

My older son used a book put out by St. Mary's Press for his world religions class in high school. His book was in such poor repair that I bought one for him to use (he can't stand the thought of a torn up book). It's titled World Religions: A Voyage of Discovery, Jeffrey Brodd. ISBN: 978-0-88489-725-5. I personally know his teacher for this course and like him a lot (they homeschool, too), so while I have not taught from this book, I trust that it is well done and fair to other faiths.

I have this one, World Religions from Teacher Created Resources and I really like it. We'll be using it next year with Sonlight Core 5 which touches on all the major religions. I wanted to go a bit deeper with it. This book is pretty good sized, almost 300 pages, and it's like a work-text. So for multiple kids you'd have to make copies of about half the pages or buy multiple copies. I got mine used on Amazon for just a few dollars.

There's a work of fiction by C. Clement called Theo's Odyssey (check here) which they might like reading at some point of your studies, perhaps even as a sort of general introduction. It's a story about an ill boy who travels around the world and meets different religions and different approaches to God, it's very suitable for middle school aged children in my opinion (even for the older ones), not overly complex, yet insightful.

Now you've gone and made me spend money. :glare: :D

I do recommend you, however, to study what each religion says for itself that they are, rather than what they seem to be from the point of view of some other religion or culture. It would be brilliant if you could browse Jewish materials when teaching Judaism rather than Christian ones who explain it, etc. - try to find materials aimed at children from that culture which explain what their religion is about, it should be a lot more insightful experience. The trick with history based books is that they usually disregard this.

I would very much like to do this. I'm volunteering to teach at least a big chunk of our church's middle school RE program the next two years, where they'll be studying world religions. I want to present a much more in-depth, authentic study than they've done in the past, so I'm eagerly looking for materials! So, any recommendations? :bigear:

My advice:

1. Use resources written as information (rather than prostelyzation) for non-believers, BY adherents of the religion being studied. The "For Dummies" books actually have a good series on the major religions, for example. They should include historical as well as contemporary information.

2. Follow up with real-life experiences. Call and find out when a good time would be, explain your intent (education, not spiritual seeking), and attend a worship or prayer service for the religion being studied.

You're right, I didn't even think about studying the religions written by a person OF that religion, vs opinionated writings.

I for sure will be keeping that in mind! I do like the books suggested, but I guess a book about multiple religions would not be a good resource???? But I DO like the books! Maybe reading about a religion in book A, then comparing it to what book B says?

The boys will be in 6th and 7th grade. DD will be in 9th, but I like I said, I want them to at the least know enough about religions to be polite and respectful of them. For example: I think serving someone from India beef is terrible because cows are their gods...This is what I heard, not trying to be offensive if it is untrue.

At the same time, I want to teach them that although someone is from a certain country/cultural area, it does not mean they believe a certain way...