Menu

How does this look for 9th? and ques about logic/rhetoric

Chalkdust Algebra I (1.0 credit)

Apologia Biology (hopefully through VHSG w/lab at home) (1.0 credit)

Memoria Press Online Academy Ancient History and Rome class (1.0 credit)

Analytical Grammar (2 year schedule)

Vocab. from Classical Roots C & D--or Advanced Spelling & Vocab. from IEW

Elegant Essay & Windows to the World (I've got to research this some more..not sure if I can use Windows with any books??)

WTM lit list (all this to make 1.0 credit for English, or is lit a separate credit? )

Spanish 2 at coop (1.0 credit)

We tried to do Art of Argument this year for 8th, but it just didn't get done. He is reading through the Fallacy Detective instead. Can he move on to rhetoric or should we do a year or semester of a logic text first? We may go ahead and do Elegant Essay this summer (he is in a coop class using SWI B that finishes up in a couple of weeks) if we move ahead with rhetoric. (.5 or 1.0 credit)

Art, Music, and PE as we can-I planned to try for .25 credit for each per year, or maybe .25 for combo of art & history?? any thoughts on this?

This will bring us to about 6 to 6.5 credits. Is that about average? He attends men's Bible study w/dh and adult Bible study with us on Sunday nights, but I'm not going to count that yet. We'll see how things look at the end of the year. I'll keep the handouts and list of books we go through in case I decide to count it later. I don't want his transcript to look "padded".

Thanks for your thoughts!!

Kim,

I think 6 academic credits is fairly standard and makes for a solid schedule. As for logic and rhetoric, you have lots of time. What about doing logic this year and rhetoric in 10th? I don't know anything about AofA, but we've had great success using Traditional Logic I and II this year. Actually, my oldest worked through a rhetoric text also this year, but if I had to choose, I'd work through formal logic first and then rhetoric.

HTH,

Lisa

We're doing Logic & Rehtoric in the same year, mainly because dd balked at the end about doing an Art elective (doesn't want to be taught anything in art--she's going to teach herself to draw the way she wants too--such a waste of talent, IMO). We're going to do the Teaching Company lectures on Argumentation along with readings from the books SWB recommends. I find that listening to lectures helps get dd through courses better (at least so far.)