Menu

How old were your kids when they learned to read?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just saying, while I do think they're smart little cookies!, the age at beginning reading didn't indicate much about their strengths and talents later on.

:iagree: Two of my nephews, who were later readers for ps (7ish) were reading adult level books by 9 or 10. They're both highly gifted, but not equally good in the same things. One struggles with Algebra somewhat (of course, the text they use is terrible; I looked at it once when we saw them) while the other is great at all things math.

dd #1 was 8, dd #2 was 7, and ds#1 was 5.

ds #2 is 4 and he reeeaaaalllly wants to read. :) I'm just hoping he'll teach himself this time.

dd #3 is 2 and she's just starting to look at the alphabet and recognize her letters.

Edited by CalicoKat

Our oldest was in second grade (7 years old) before she could read without pausing between each word. She's older than the others (she's almost 21) and learned to read using the whole word method. She still struggles to this day

Our second daughter was reading at the 3rd grade level at the end of kindergarten. She's always been very verbal and language oriented, so I think reading was just the next natural step for her.

Our son (5 yo) just learned to read this year and is already reading fluently. He's the only one I taught to read and I'm amazed at how quickly he's picking things up. He struggled for months learning cvc words, but something clicked and overnight he was reading more or less fluently.

They get it from me. :) I love to read and learned at an early age. I started reading to them before they could sit up on their own.