Menu

Home Science Tools Dissection Kit

Has anyone else used this? What do you do with the specimens after you open the bag?

I thought they'd be individually wrapped, but it looks like they're all in there together. Once we open it -- now what? I know I can put them in another bag -- thinking freezer ziplock here -- but then do they have to be refrigerated? YUCK!

I separated them into smaller individual zip lock baggies and stored them in a cabinet - thinking less exposure to light/air, less disturbing, and no extremes in temps would be good. We used all the specimens then throughout the year with no problems. I even saved the worm for younger ds to use with Rainbow Science beginning of this school year and the specimen was just fine.

Don't laugh but I feared putting them in the frig with all these boys here! haha You just never know.

Susie

Thanks for the feedback. I know it says they don't have to be refrigerated, but after that bag is opened, I dunno. They're in a closet now -- and it still creeps me out. :rofl:

Don't laugh but I feared putting them in the frig with all these boys here! haha You just never know.

Well, I'm going to laugh anyway -- but I know exactly what you mean! :D

Well, duh!!!!!!!

We got the kit out today to do our first one. Under the order form at the bottom of the box, guess what I found? INSTRUCTIONS! LOL! Just goes to show, dig a little deeper. :-D

Thanks for the help!

Yes, you can put them in Ziploc bags. Ewwww! I don't want those things in *my* freezer, LOL; with boys in the house they might try to eat them! They really don't need to be refrigerated for any reason. I kept my last round in bags in my schoolroom for a couple of years. They are very well preserved and will smell just as bad in the end as they do in the beginning, but no worse.

Regena

• 6 months later...

:rofl: I have all kind of insects and bugs in there....and have had for years...while ds gets his act together to pin them.....Hey....I have a friend who acutally picked up a road kill squirrel because her son wanted to dissect it....yuck!. And of course, not at all safe or sanitary...but I do think it is a bit funny.

How do you really know you're a homeschooler? Look in the fridge and freezer for specimens!

:smilielol5: