Menu

Need suggestions on the next read-aloud for teenage boys

My dh is picky about what he will read aloud to our boys. He will NOT read historical fiction. Some he's read and likes:

Jules Verne - Journey to the Center of the Earth

Issac Asimov - Fantastic Voyage & Foundations (didn't like Foundations)

Jack London - Call of the Wild & White Fang

They are finishing up Michael Crichton's Timeline.

Any ideas? TIA :001_smile:

How about The Strange Case of Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde or C.S. Lewis' space trilogy? Also, you might try some Elmer Kelton westerns if you think they would like that genre. Mr. Kelton was named the best western writer of all time by the Western Writers Association (think that's the name).

We also all liked Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne.

Yvonne

My dh is picky about what he will read aloud to our boys. He will NOT read historical fiction. Some he's read and likes:

Jules Verne - Journey to the Center of the Earth

Issac Asimov - Fantastic Voyage & Foundations (didn't like Foundations)

Jack London - Call of the Wild & White Fang

They are finishing up Michael Crichton's Timeline.

I'm a little curious as to how he defines historical fiction. I'd consider Timeline to be historical fiction. One might also consider the Jack London books to be classics of historical fiction or perhaps not as they were doubtless fairly contemporary when he wrote them.

What about Dracula or Frankenstein? or tales from Edgar Allan Poe? Sherlock Holmes stories?

Regards,

Kareni

I'm a little curious as to how he defines historical fiction. I'd consider Timeline to be historical fiction. One might also consider the Jack London books to be classics of historical fiction or perhaps not as they were doubtless fairly contemporary when he wrote them.

What about Dracula or Frankenstein? or tales from Edgar Allan Poe? Sherlock Holmes stories?

Regards,

Kareni

Yes, you're right! He will not read SL historial fiction. I've tried to get him to read SL books for years and he will not read them for the most part.

Dh read Frankenstein a couple of years ago and he hated it - too dark & depressing for him. I've read EAP to the boys. Don't know if they will try SH.

I read Dracula recently but I doubt dh would read it. I think the boys would like it.

Thanks anyway!

Edit: I went and looked at Timeline and it's listed as sci-fi - yup that's what dh likes!

Edited by MIch elle

Some things my husband has read to our boys:

Sherlock Holmes stories

Treasure Island

Captains Couragous

Coral Island (think that was the name - Coral something, anyway - It was an older adventure book.)

Three Men in a Boat

PGWoodhouse books

Another book that was a rather outrageous older adventure story set in Africa (if you want the name, I'll track it down)

One of the Hornblower books

The Lobster Chronicles (pre-read - I'm pretty sure he did some on the fly editting of language as he read this aloud)

One of the Lindsey Davis mysteries (set in in ancient Rome - again, I think he did a bit of editting as he read it since the language is adult and there are a few adult scenes)

My own father read us (when we were college students) Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy. He was not a reader alouder AT ALL, but he decided that we had to hear the book one winter vacation.

My oldest loved Captain Blood in high school. He wasn't generally a reader, but he happily gobbled down Captain Blood and the Lindsey Davis mysteries.

Maybe something here will appeal to your family.

-Nan

To Say Nothing of the Dog by Willis fantastic fiction my men all liked this one, even dh who doesn't read a lot-it was even more enjoyable after reading Three Men in a Boat and a few Jeeves stories by Wodehouse, but To Say Nothing of the Dog is nothing like either. Reading this book will ruin the Moonstone if read close together. I read this 4 years before the Moonstone and it didn't ruin it for me because I didn't remember the plot releaving allusions.

The Thirty Nine Steps by (not at all like the movie) or Greenmantle by Buchan I'm not sure how these would be classified, suspense? mystery?

The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins The first(?) mystery novel

Kendall

Oooh, ooh, ooh! Seconding The 39 Steps and all books by Buchan!

My boys enjoyed The Scarlet Pimpernel, which would be a fab read-aloud.

My husband enjoyed reading PG Wodehouse aloud too.

And of course Tolkien. We have some short stories by him: The Adventures of Tom Bombadil, Farmer Giles of Ham, and Smith of Wooton Major which dh enjoyed reading aloud. Depends on whether your dh "does voices." :-)

I wouldn't call any of these dark or depressing.