Menu

Etiquette for using online resources?

For instance, I am going to use Conceptual Physical Science Explorations by Hewitt/Suchocki/Hewitt. I found a very nice syllabus, by Googling, for an Integrated Sciences high school course taught in a California public school classroom, using this textbook. The teacher has created a syllabus/contract and put it online, and it linked up to the school's Integrated Science page which has 11 sections, each with worksheets, labs & activities and references including animations (ex: Plate Tectonics, Greenhouse Gases, Earthquakes). SO, is it considered open game to use these sites, since they are online for anyone to find with no password protection? It goes without saying, that I would not copy or reproduce anything for any use except educating a child, as the materials are intended.

Would it be good manners to shoot her an e-mail asking to use it for one homeschooled kid, while complimenting her hard work? Or am I being just too goody-two-shoes?

Thanks for any comments or experience in this,

LBS

I am so impressed with the wonderful teachers out there, who do share good work....makes it easy for those of us who are not so knowledgeable.

So, gaining permission would be too tedious, I suppose, overkill perhaps. Okay, that makes it easy.

I agree, it is good to give thanks. Amazing that I can do so to someone in California, by just punching a few buttons!

LBS

For instance, I am going to use Conceptual Physical Science Explorations by Hewitt/Suchocki/Hewitt. I found a very nice syllabus, by Googling, for an Integrated Sciences high school course taught in a California public school classroom, using this textbook. The teacher has created a syllabus/contract and put it online, and it linked up to the school's Integrated Science page which has 11 sections, each with worksheets, labs & activities and references including animations (ex: Plate Tectonics, Greenhouse Gases, Earthquakes). SO, is it considered open game to use these sites, since they are online for anyone to find with no password protection? It goes without saying, that I would not copy or reproduce anything for any use except educating a child, as the materials are intended.

Would it be good manners to shoot her an e-mail asking to use it for one homeschooled kid, while complimenting her hard work? Or am I being just too goody-two-shoes?

Thanks for any comments or experience in this,

LBS

I think that people who put together curriculum usually will be thrilled that others find it of value. So a thank you would be thanks indeed. (Especially given what centers of chaos many schools are. Might be the only atta boy that the teacher gets all week.)

I would ask permission if you were using the material for a group class or as the basis for your own syllubus. And if I were using it for a group, I would try to make sure that I had permissions for any graphs or animations (or that they were common use items - for example illustrations produced by government agencies often have no copyright, although credit is expected).

If you used multiple syllubuses as a springboard for writing your own, with significant revisions, then I might give a credit at the end, depending on how much of the other people's work I had used and how much had just been inspiration for scope and sequence. (Assuming a group here. I would just stick to the thank you for personal work.)

Yes, you are very right. I have several syllabi saved in favorites from private and public schools, and marvel at the investment of time and effort. When I win the lottery, I'll send their schools a million $, and give these dedicated teachers grants and such to do more good work. My thanks is all I have to offer right now, and maybe a good word to their boss? I have much respect for the amazing public school teachers of my older two kids, and affection for many of them.

The permission thing bothers me, a bit. I am troubled by the open province of all material published by virtue of posting on the Internet. I feel like a trespasser, or a plagiarizer. However, I am not stealing it and passing if off as my words. I'm just borrowing someone else's experience and expertise, for the purpose it was intended: educating children (one child, in this instance.) Conversely, I am lecturing my own kids and nephews about the feeling of privacy when they journal on Facebook, that, in fact is more public than a billboard on Times Square....and the stupid college pics they are so proud to post, that are going to be used in the future, when they want to go into foreign service, or get insurance, or get a scholarship....

As usual, I'm way overthinking and my husband will tell me in that loving and succinct way of his: KISS.

(The second S is "sweetie" not "stupid" he assures me.)

Happy Educating,

LBS