Menu

Notebook binding question

I own the pro-click machine. Here's a review I did last year, copied from my blog. I still use it all the time. For my use, it has been the one of the best investments.

The only I've run into is when I unbind a book that has been "perfect" bound (glued). I cut the bindings off myself with a scalpel and the pages don't always punch correctly. Part of the issue is that the opening for the pro-click machine is small and the thicker paper of some workbooks doesn't fit in it correctly. You can punch up to 6 normal sheets of copy paper at one time. I usually end up putting my unbound workbooks in a binder and 3 hole punch them.

Pro-Click Binding: A Review

I bit the bullet and purchased this binding machine.

http://www.mybinding.com/.sc/ms/dd/e...0Paper%20Punch

It comes with the machine alone, no supplies. It is bigger and more sturdy than it appears. It is weighted so it will not slide around while punching holes. It is designed to punch 6 pages of regular copy paper at a time. While it does do 6, I find 4 pages at a time is better.

I also ordered these spines...

http://www.mybinding.com/.sc/ms/dd/e...20Color%20Coil

Here's a page where you can guage what size you might need.

http://www.mybinding.com/.sc/ms/ch/b...ing-coils.html

I ordered the 10mm and 18mm sizes. I found that they hold about the amount of pages recommended. Make sure you order the 3:1 spines if you order the ProClick machine. You get a box of 100, but I found that to be more cost effective than ordering the pro click spines, which only comes in two sizes.

The coils are plastic and I did not order the crimping tool. I found that if you use a lighter and quickly heat up a set of small pliers you can bend the plastic very easily. (Disclaimer: Best to heat the pliers, not the spine, because you don't want to start a fire by lighting your pages on fire) You will also need to cut the spine to size if you are using start 8.5" x 11" paper. Again cutting pliers, not heated, did the job quite well.

The only thing I did not order were any plastic covers or backs, you can buy those unpunched as well.

I ordered from the company in my links. I ordered last Thursday evening, received the machine from Fed Ex on Wednesday, and the spines from UPS on Thursday. I had received e-mail confirmations on both shipments, so I found their service more than acceptable.

I wanted to post this review since I know others had been asking about this machine. I'm having too much fun using it today, I may run out of printer ink.

I spent around 100.00 for my supplies and already find it to be a worthy investment. Hope this is useful to someone else.

I guess it depends on how much binding you do whether it's worth the expense of a binder (no idea how much they cost). You can bring things to Staples, Office Max, etc. and they will bind it for you. You can pick nice plastic covers and the color of the binding - it's spiral bound and gives a nice finished look. The binding can also be easily removed and pages added or deleted as needed in the future.