Menu

Anyone used the Potters School for Spanish?

Yes...I have used TSP for two dss who took Spanish I with Sra. Alfaro. I HIGHLY recommend her class. She is a very good teacher with clear expectations. She communicates well with parents and lets us know our part clearly. She adds extra material for the students to check out and provides extra practice on confusing verb conjugation. Both my dss enjoyed her and I will use her again when the time comes. She also knows how to run an online class and is very organized with grading and computer usage!

HTH

Oh my - not to upset the apple cart, but just last night one of my friends commented at a support group meeting that she would not recommend Spanish 1 from TPS to anyone. Sorry. Isn't there a TPS website that allows you to see teacher ratings somewhere? We just discussed this last night at our meeting where the topic was on-line classes. I do not have any personal experience with TPS so this is 2nd hand only. Fortunately, I speak fluent Spanish. Never realized how valuable it would become in our homeschooling journey.

Yolanda

I'm trying to find a good Spanish program for 9th grade dd next year.

Or there any other programs that people recommend?

As I mentioned in my prior post, I speak fluent Spanish so my kids have never needed classes outside the home. However, because I am a native speaker, I'm very much aware of the options out there and where people have found success learning Spanish. The best option remains in-person, live classes where you can speak the language on a regular basis. Is there any way you can find someone to teach your child and some others (to reduce cost) on at least a twice a week basis? Or perhaps, join a library conversation group or do a class at a community college when they're a bit older (16)? I realize that these options are not feasible for many people, but, what I'm hearing from friends is that their kids have learned the most from having classes in person.

Yolanda

I have only posted a few times on this forum, but I have been a silent observer for a couple of years. Anyway, my daughter is currently taking Spanish I with TPS and she recommends the class only if there is a lot of extra support at home. It does require a significant amount of practice on the part of the student, and it certainly helps to have someone else at home who speaks the language. She will be continuing with TPS Spanish 2 next year. Fortunately, TPS has added a "conversations" class which is an extra 90 minute class each week for the students to practice speaking in Spanish and they will receive immediate feedback from the teacher. You should go to the TPS website and read the information about the classes. You might also want to attend one of the online Open Houses. I know they just had one today for the Spanish classes but I'm sure they will be holding 1 or 2 more in the next couple of weeks. Hope this helps.:)