Menu

Closet Organizers

I just finished watching Hoarders: Buried Alive and it motivated me to want to organize. I have a spare bedroom closet that holds some off-season coats, presents, sewing supplies and other misc. I need something cheap and easy to install as my husband is working so much (thankfully!)he won't have time to do it.

Any suggstions appreciated.

Sorry I dont have any good ideas for you, but the pp made me laugh also! :lol:

I also just cleaned out/organized my closet - it already has shelving though - it was just a mess! Happy Organizing!! It always feels so good when it's done! :001_smile: ~Jessica

Actually, I had a good idea just now. I've had a really long wire shelf in my garage for 13 years. I think it was meant for my walk-in closet, but it ended up never being used. For some reason I never got rid of it. I figure we must have something around here to cut it up with. I should be able to get at least three shelves from it. Then, I only have to buy the brackets. Way to save money! Now, I'm not really good with the sharp objects so I think I need to wait for my husband to do it. I'm sure it'll be done by Christmas.

Here's my advice:

1. Don't get caught up in thinking you need *just the right* supplies, and don't get caught up in the process of organizing. These are often the very traps that snare the hoarder: They are often downright obsessed with organization to the point that they hoard things like containers, organizers and boxes (notice the HUGE number of boxes and plastic bins many hoarders have! watch more episodes and you'll see what i mean!) and do things like make lists and schedules and charts so compulsively that these acts actually inhibit the life improvements they are meant to bring about (listmaking that delays grocery shopping for 3 days because what if the list isn't complete).

2. Use any old thing: ratty old boxes, gallon or larger ziplock bags, trash bags, etc. to protect your stuff. Use a fat tipped Sharpie to labe the outsides--seeing through clear bins isn't always helpful ;-) Just get the job done. Fast.

3. Throw most of that stuff out! Did you watch them hold onto silly stuff during the clean-up process? Try pretending you have a camera crew looking over your shoulder -- what would you friends, family & neighbors *really* think about you holding onto those things? Use that to hopefully motivate you to throw more stuff away. If you follow through with it, donation is a fine alternative, but PLEASE don't jsut move it to "donation boxes" in your garage and never donate them. That's just shuffling the problem around. Ditto garage sales & recycling plans that never work out! The main tool EVERYONE needs when organizing is a good old, cheap Garbage Bag! LOL!

4. Pretend you are filthy rich. Frugality in its extreme can exacerbate hoarding tendencies and make you hold on to useless items just in case, or perhaps out of a sense of guilt. Pretending you are rich will help you let them go ;-)

I realize you're probably not really a hoarder, but fearing becoming one (and understanding how they got there so you can avoid it) can help motivate you to work in as non-hoarding a fashion as possible. Most of us are hoarders to one degree or another--it's just that some of us are closets-and-drawers-only hoarders, some of us are horizontal-spaces hoarders (how does that table/shelf nearest your garage/front door look now? LOL!) and a rare few of us are every-cubic-inch-can-be-filled hoarders. Most of us simply have way more junk than we really need. I'm guilty! But purging like an anti-hoarder can be liberating. Have fun and good luck!

Good advice, LauraQ!

I am in the process of cleaning out several rooms in our house that have become major junk-catchers. Having someone with you who will pressure you to throw it all out really helps! My two oldest dds came over today and have made a world of difference in what I was able to accomplish.

OP - good luck and get it done quick before the passion to clean leaves!!