Menu

Can you look at a high school text and compare to the OM text? Or maybe ask someone at OM? The thing I would do in your situation is just try to beef it up somehow. You probably don't have to beef it up much at all since it is considered an 8th grade text. And are you going for a credit or half a credit? It might be enough for a half a credit already. I'd ask the folks at OM.

Guest Cindie2dds
No one? Audrey?

This board moves so fast and questions get lost in the shuffle. PMs work much better. I would either pm Audrey or AngieW in Texas for upper OM questions or post it on the OM_HS yahoo group. Hope this helps!

I did join the OM yahoo group and it is very slow and it doesn't seem like there are many upper level folks. Lots and lots of elementary questions.

So maybe I should PM Aubrey about this and 7th grade OM?

The one and only response i've received was that they hated both. :(

I can't offer any advice about HS because we are just getting ready for 8th grade next year but I do have the OM8 civics with me now. It is what we are planning for next year. It looks pretty rigourous and in my inexperienced opinion it could easily be a 9th grade credit. I think it will be very challenging for my 8th grader next year and he is pretty mature and very smart. He will also be an older 8th grader b/c of a December b-day. He will actually turn 14 next year toward the beginning of 8th grade. I am watching this post for so btdt info about this program. So far, I like what I see in just browsing through the material.

I am using Oak Meadow 7th grade history now and plan on using the 8th grade civics for 8th grade next year.

I am sure with additional outside reading/writing assignments you could make it a freshman high school course.

I really like Oak Meadow but we do a ton of additional reading/writing assignments because I don't think they cover some topics in depth enough for me.

I would purchase it and you could always return it if you are not happy. I have returned items to them with no problem.

I can't offer any advice about HS because we are just getting ready for 8th grade next year but I do have the OM8 civics with me now. It is what we are planning for next year. It looks pretty rigourous and in my inexperienced opinion it could easily be a 9th grade credit. I think it will be very challenging for my 8th grader next year and he is pretty mature and very smart. He will also be an older 8th grader b/c of a December b-day. He will actually turn 14 next year toward the beginning of 8th grade. I am watching this post for so btdt info about this program. So far, I like what I see in just browsing through the material.

:iagree: I agree with this assessment. I have compared OM to the public school curricula for our province. OM 6, 7 and 8 demand a lot more than the public school curricula grade for grade. If you are unsure, you could always choose to do all the optional assignments, or do more than one choice when they offer a choice of assignment topics.

I will say, though, that I don't recall ever doing any of the stuff in the last third of OM8 in my (US) high school Civics class. It was strictly govt., very little economics at all.

ETA: Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier. I do always try to look for threads on OM, but the forum moves so fast, I can't catch them all! :)