Menu

Counting volunteer hours for transcript, schalarships

My daughter is really putting in a lot of volunteer hours . . . Special Olympics, church praise team, etc. I am having her keep track of hours for her transcript and possibly scholarships in the future. We took a mission trip to an orphanage in Mexico. We were gone from early Saturday until late the following Sunday. This of course included travel time. Some time down there was fun, we went to the beach and a few other things. How on earth do you count volunteer hours for something like that?

I've been wondering about this as well. My dd has done and is doing a lot of volunteering. She and her friend started a group when they were 11 and 12, and are now working with our local Mental Health Organization to raise money for a playground for kids that go to the special school on the MH "campus". It's a $30,000. project, and they've helped raise $12,000 so far. She and I also volunteer at our local Humane Society, and got over 100 hours in the 2009 year, and have over 30 so far this year. So, she's put in a LOT of hours, aside from the amazing experiences, but I'm not sure how to mark it down.

DD also helps with Praise Team and kids classes at church, but I've heard that is a personal thing, and you can't count helping out at your own church???

I'm hoping some of you have some more detailed answers about this---not only what can be marked down, but how to do it! Thanks for asking this, mims!

We took a mission trip to an orphanage in Mexico. We were gone from early Saturday until late the following Sunday. This of course included travel time. Some time down there was fun, we went to the beach and a few other things. How on earth do you count volunteer hours for something like that?

I don't think I would count the hours for the mission trip. I would list it as mission trip to Mexico March 10-17, 2010. Then if there is room, list some of her responsibilities.

Right now for my purposes I am listing where, when and how many hours. We'll consolidate it later when we have to list it somewhere. (My dd is 9th grade.)

Oh I will definitely count my dd's hours in a mission trip since she was doing community service, not evangelizing. SHe painted an outdoor wall, cooked a meal for homeless and poor, and took care of children in an afterschool program. In her case, I don't think it makes any difference whether she was sleeping in a church in the evenings or serving the food in the church fellowship hall. THe food was for anyone in the community and not tied to any beliefs. I would also count anyone who volunteers at a soup kitchen,

Oh I will definitely count my dd's hours in a mission trip since she was doing community service, not evangelizing. SHe painted an outdoor wall, cooked a meal for homeless and poor, and took care of children in an afterschool program. In her case, I don't think it makes any difference whether she was sleeping in a church in the evenings or serving the food in the church fellowship hall. THe food was for anyone in the community and not tied to any beliefs. I would also count anyone who volunteers at a soup kitchen,
I would count a mission trip as well. There are a lot of mission trips whose goal is to go help the people build, clean up after disasters, etc.

In 2005 our whole family went on a mission trip to Fiji. We did repair work, helped dig a foundation for a much needed medical clinic building, painted, helped at the dental clinic.......all stuff I deem worthy of counting as volunteer hours! My kids were too young to need to count the hours though, so that hasn't been on their transcripts. But, I guess I could attach a page to show that they have done that??? Haven't found a need to, but if someone asked, i'd tell them!