Menu

DS has heard from all of his schools

Blue Hen

The last college letter came in the mail today, a big fat envelope with CONGRATULATIONS written across it. DS was so hoping Lehigh would come through with more merit aid then they did.

DS was accepted to:

University of Delaware, Case Western Reserve, CO School of Mines, Drexel (PA), Lehigh(PA), Rose-Hulman, Tulane, RPI (NY), Stony Brook University --- all acceptances. Merit scholarship from each: with most coming in covering a little more than 1/2 of their tuition cost. This still left a hefty sum for us to cover, except for University of Delaware.

This past week U of DE totally shocked us by awarding DS a hefty merit scholarship. Far above what we had hoped DS might be awarded. Combined with a DE Engineering Scholarship DS won in early February, the two will cover about 90% of his tution cost. :) He / we'll still have to come up with room & board but the cost will be substantially smaller than any of the other schools on the list.

I'm thrilled! DS really wanted to go some place COLD and SNOWY and far-away from home but has really warmed up to the idea of attending U of DE. He plans upon majoring in Chemical Engineering and the University's Chem E program has an excellent reputation, even outside of Delaware.

He will live on campus and I promised him that I would not pop-in to see him.

Now, how do I combat senioritis? :bigear:

Carole

I'm thrilled! DS really wanted to go some place COLD and SNOWY and far-away from home but has really warmed up to the idea of attending U of DE. He plans upon majoring in Chemical Engineering and the University's Chem E program has an excellent reputation, even outside of Delaware.

He will live on campus and I promised him that I would not pop-in to see him.

Now, how do I combat senioritis? :bigear:

Carole

Carole (& son),

Congratulations on all the acceptances and scholarships! Way to go mom and ds! U of DE is very highly rated for Chem E, so he should be able to meet a lot of "connected" faculty there.

Regarding the senioritis -- good luck with that.....

Brenda

Fantastic results! A big congratulations to Carole and son on all those great acceptances! It must be a relief to see the end in sight finally.

What a wonderful scholarship to U Delaware; the Chem Eng department there ought to be great with the DuPont presence right down the road.

And about senioritis - it's in full force in this house, too. I'm no help there, just sympathetic:)

~Kathy

Congratulations!

Senioritis... the only thing I've been able to do is tell mine, "When you're done with your curricula, you're done." It helps sometimes. Otherwise, he's been inspired by our visits this past winter and is personally interested in keeping up so he's in tune when he gets there. All throughout ps and hs he hasn't really been challenged much by peers of equal talent. Now that he's seen others who are there - or even more talented than he is, he has been inspired to try to be at the top of his game. I feel fortunate, but it doesn't always mean he'd rather do Calculus than dream about future college days while playing a computer game!

Congratulations! I went to school (undergrad and then law school) in the same town in which I grew up (Gainesville, FL :001_smile:). I loved it. My dad was a professor/doctor at the health center and my grandfather was a professor in chemical engineering. It was the best of both worlds. I lived on campus and was super involved in student activities. But, I got to use my dad's car once a week and remember looking out my dorm window and catching my granddad's Volvo headed to work. Sweet memories.

A hearty congratulations on your first graduate!

Lisa

[And who has senioritis? You or ds? :tongue_smilie:]

Congratulations! We also found that our state school (U of OK) offered hefty merit scholarships for engineering (particularly petroleum engineering) students compared to private schools. Will your ds be in the same town as you? I'm enjoying having my ds about 2.5 hours away. It's away from home, but not too far...

Much congratulations! It's so wonderful when a kiddo is able to choose between good college options.

We live in Newark :) and our ds is considering UD, though his proposed major fluctuates between environmental engineering and public policy. I told him that if he attends UD we'll treat it like he is out of state, if that is what he wishes. Though if he lives off campus as an upper classman, I won't be responsible for other family members who might drive past his housing on weekend mornings.... ;)