Menu

How Many Credits for the Following?

How many high school credits would you give for a student who completed the list below starting summer 2009 and finishing April 2010?

English & History

Grammar - Easy Grammar Plus

Writing - IEW Ancient HBWL, SWI B, Elegant Essay, and Editor in Chief

Vocabulary - BF Ancients and Word Roots

Literature - BF Ancients and Lightning Literature 8

Reading List:

Ancients

Tales of Ancient Egypt

Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt

The Cat of Bubastes

Mara, Daughter of the Nile

The Children's Homer

D'Aulaire's Book of Greek Myths

Ancient Greece

Galen and the Gateway of Medicine

Augustus Caesar's World

The Bronze Bow

Novels

Treasure Island

A Day of Pleasure

A Christmas Carol

The Hobbit

My Family & Other Animals

To Kill a Mockingbird

Stories & Poems

A Crazy Tale

There Was a Child Went Forth

I Saw a Peacock with a Fiery Tail

The Mad Gardener's Song

The War-Song of Dinas Vawr

The Dalliance of the Eagles

London Snow

Wakefield

Goblin Market

A Leave-Taking

Autumn

Weep You No More, Sad Fountains

Love Will Find Out the Way

Who Has Seen the Wind?

The Silver Swan

The Snowstorm

Reflections

The Human Seasons

The Fairies

I Loved a Lass

The Splendour Falls on Castle Walls

So, We'll Go No More a-Roving

A Wintry Sonnet

Nightmare

Mariana

For history we added in Spielvogel's World History: The Human Odyssey, Teaching Company's High School Series World History, and lots of Netflix documentaries.

How many high school credits would you give for a student who completed the list below starting summer 2009 and finishing April 2010?

English & History

Grammar - Easy Grammar Plus

Writing - IEW Ancient HBWL, SWI B, Elegant Essay, and Editor in Chief

Vocabulary - BF Ancients and Word Roots

Literature - BF Ancients and Lightning Literature 8

Reading List:

Ancients

Tales of Ancient Egypt

Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt

The Cat of Bubastes

Mara, Daughter of the Nile

The Children's Homer

D'Aulaire's Book of Greek Myths

Ancient Greece

Galen and the Gateway of Medicine

Augustus Caesar's World

The Bronze Bow

Novels

Treasure Island

A Day of Pleasure

A Christmas Carol

The Hobbit

My Family & Other Animals

To Kill a Mockingbird

Stories & Poems

A Crazy Tale

There Was a Child Went Forth

I Saw a Peacock with a Fiery Tail

The Mad Gardener's Song

The War-Song of Dinas Vawr

The Dalliance of the Eagles

London Snow

Wakefield

Goblin Market

A Leave-Taking

Autumn

Weep You No More, Sad Fountains

Love Will Find Out the Way

Who Has Seen the Wind?

The Silver Swan

The Snowstorm

Reflections

The Human Seasons

The Fairies

I Loved a Lass

The Splendour Falls on Castle Walls

So, We'll Go No More a-Roving

A Wintry Sonnet

Nightmare

Mariana

For history we added in Spielvogel's World History: The Human Odyssey, Teaching Company's High School Series World History, and lots of Netflix documentaries.

1 English credit, 1 history credit.

1 English credit, 1 history credit.

:iagree:

Of course, she's read far more than most ps kids, so it seems like it would warrant more credits, but I would only give the above.

Include a reading list of the most important works with her college transcript so TPTB can see that she is well-read and hard-working.

Of course, she's read far more than most ps kids, so it seems like it would warrant more credits, but I would only give the above.

Include a reading list of the most important works with her college transcript so TPTB can see that she is well-read and hard-working.

I agree. You might look at making the English credit an "honors" credit, particularly if she was doing significant writing analysis in association with what she was reading.

I agree and disagree. I agree with giving her one history and one English credit. But, I don't know that I would mention a lot of these books in a college transcript, many of them are not high-school reading level material.

I know others may disagree, but I'll offer this thought...

This dc has done a lot of work at a level that I assume is appropriate for the dc. Why not give credit for it? Seton, Mother of Divine Grace, and Kolbe all give credit for Composition & Grammar, Literature and History in 9th grade as three different classes. Each breaks it up differently; you can read their websites to see how they do it. The high school where my dh teaches also has both English and a composition class in 9th grade. Keeping in mind what these accredited schools do, I think it's fair to count the Easy Grammar, vocabulary, and IEW stuff as 1 English credit, the BF and other readings as a literature credit, and all the history studies, (including the BF and videos) as 1 history credit.

I know others may disagree, but I'll offer this thought...

This dc has done a lot of work at a level that I assume is appropriate for the dc. Why not give credit for it? Seton, Mother of Divine Grace, and Kolbe all give credit for Composition & Grammar, Literature and History in 9th grade as three different classes. Each breaks it up differently; you can read their websites to see how they do it. The high school where my dh teaches also has both English and a composition class in 9th grade. Keeping in mind what these accredited schools do, I think it's fair to count the Easy Grammar, vocabulary, and IEW stuff as 1 English credit, the BF and other readings as a literature credit, and all the history studies, (including the BF and videos) as 1 history credit.

I don't disagree with the idea of a great books or literature credit. I disagree with the notion one should receive a high school literature credit for reading books intended for grammar and logic stage kids. High school credit should be given for high school level work.

I don't disagree with the idea of a great books or literature credit. I disagree with the notion one should receive a high school literature credit for reading books intended for grammar and logic stage kids. High school credit should be given for high school level work.

I understand what your saying here. I ran into trouble in the beginning of the year when a Kolbe advisor told us that we shouldn't use a certain book because it wasn't high school level. We wound up changing things around completely because of that. Now we're using HOAW with some supplements in part because I didn't think dd was ready for the ancient primary source readings.

At one point, when I was trying to figure things out I spoke to someone at BF and they told me the high school portion of their guides are meant for 1 history, 1 literature, and 1/2 geography credit. I wondered about this because they were books that you usually see recommended for logic level students. Sonlight also uses books at the high school level that I wouldn't consider high school level.

I don't really know the answer, but I put it as something to think about because in general it's possible to have both a writing/grammar credit and a literature credit on a transcript.

I wondered about this because they were books that you usually see recommended for logic level students. Sonlight also uses books at the high school level that I wouldn't consider high school level.

It is true that some of Sonlight's books (especially in 100/200) are lower level. However, their curriculum also contains higher level literature-Heart of Darkness, Brave New World, Beowulf, The Dubliners, Hamlet, Gulliver's Travels and so forth. Many college-bound homeschooled highschoolers that I have known have skipped Sonlight 100/200 and done 300/400 for high school, switching to something else for their last two years.

I don't really know the answer, but I put it as something to think about because in general it's possible to have both a writing/grammar credit and a literature credit on a transcript.

I don't know the answer, either. But I would be concerned that a student who did not conquer high school level work in high school would be unprepared for college level work.

I'd give a history credit, but not a high school English credit. All but a couple of the books are middle school-level in reading level, and all are middle-school level in content. Fewer books would be read in an institutional school, but they'd be of a more appropriate level. I would have her read 6 novels of an appropriate level over summer before granting a high school English credit.

Ah--you are correct, Mrs. M--I just scanned the list, not noticing the actual titles! :blush:

Quoting myself above--

You definitely want an included list to be impressive. I would not put short stories by title or middle school level books on it.

I'd still give one credit for lit and one for history, but I would plan to considerably beef up the choice of lit, now that the student has gotten her feet wet.:D

And I definitely think adding several titles over the summer of high school level would be a good choice, also.

Seeing the age of your child, I assume this is for 9th grade credit? I would give one credit history and one credit English assuming grammar, vocabulary, writing, and literature are part of the English credit. In the next three years you have time enough to worry about beefing up the reading. Just my humble opinion, but you do have a few titles on there that are hs level. It's more than I ever read in high school especially 9th grade. HTH

Blessings,

Pat

Seeing the age of your child, I assume this is for 9th grade credit? I would give one credit history and one credit English assuming grammar, vocabulary, writing, and literature are part of the English credit. In the next three years you have time enough to worry about beefing up the reading. Just my humble opinion, but you do have a few titles on there that are hs level. It's more than I ever read in high school especially 9th grade. HTH

Blessings,

Pat

Thank you everyone for your input! By the way Noah is a 14 yr old boy in the 8th grade not a girl, lol!! Now to clarify why I asked this question...

I wanted to try and get a comparison of what homeschoolers consider high school level compared to public school because I have decided to enroll him in the online ps through Texas Connections Academy @ Houston.

Sure enough everyone thought the work he has done is logic level where the virtual academy considers it high school! The 9th grade honors class uses Prentice Hall Literature Gold and Writing & Grammar Gold. The only full novels the students read are Animal Farm (8th grade reading level) and To Kill A Mockingbird (10th grade reading level). They also read Romeo & Juliet (9th grade level) but I'm not sure if they read all of it.

Since my son has done more work in 8th grade than the ps hs I want him to get hs credit for it so that he can advance to AP and dual enrollment faster so that he can be challenged and earn more college credit for free. I am a single mother, unemployed since Dec, and now a university student. I have to make every penny count and this is the best solution I could come up with. Since he will still be home with me I will be able to supplement like crazy and still have fabulous discussions with him!!!