Menu

Anyone use Geography Coloring Book by Wynn Kapit?

Pam B

Colleen,

Haha- I don't really know! I was thinking maybe if they are reading about The Roman Empire, I would go to the back of the book (p. 46-ish), and having them color that???? See, I have no clue!

I'm trying to figure it out. I DO see on p 281 in the newset edition, she refers to it in the paragraph numbered '3'. She says "He should also color the appropriate map from the Geography Coloring Book."

HOWEVER- back on p. 275, under "ADDITIONAL HELP FOR PARENTS," in the first chapter, the way I am reading it- it seems to imply it is optional, if the child is interested. Maybe that is just for the 5th grade???

Let me know what ya think.

Colleen,

Haha- I don't really know! I was thinking maybe if they are reading about The Roman Empire, I would go to the back of the book (p. 46-ish), and having them color that???? See, I have no clue!

That's what I couldn't figure out last year when ds was in 5th and doing ancient history - there was a grand total of FOUR maps to colour for ancient history, and four for middle ages (where we are noe). So I didn't bother. And kept wondering if I was missing something important.

I'm trying to figure it out. I DO see on p 281 in the newset edition, she refers to it in the paragraph numbered '3'. She says "He should also color the appropriate map from the Geography Coloring Book."

Yep, I remember reading this in my older book.

HOWEVER- back on p. 275, under "ADDITIONAL HELP FOR PARENTS," in the first chapter, the way I am reading it- it seems to imply it is optional, if the child is interested. Maybe that is just for the 5th grade???

I don't have the new WTM - what is written that makes you think it is optional (of course, I know everything is optional, depending on what the parent wants :D - but I'm trying to understand the thinking in the book here)? I'm trying to get a feel for just how important this book may or may not be in geography study. Or even how important it is to go into a detailed geography study. My oldest worked his way through all the Knowledge Quest maps, and dd is currently doing the same. We look things up on the globe/wall map/atlas, ds loves to look through the National Geographic atlas - yet I still have a nagging feeling sometimes that I should be having them do something else, yet when I think about having them do a geography "program," I shudder. :D To me, it reminds me of high school history or science class, where we were told what topics and facts we were to memorize in order to pass the test.

Colleen,

Hmmm... Well, first, here in the Google Books link to the new WTM.

I guess I was thinking it was somewhat optional- because she states (p. 275), that "He'll then follow his own interests to learn more with additional history books, hands-on projects, models, detailed coloring books, and more resources..."

So... I guess I was reading into it too much maybe? Maybe the detailed "coloring books" is refering to somethink like John Green's "Cathedrals of the World" coloring books???

You are right however, on p. 281 it does not sound optional. Maybe I was too tired to think about it last night! :eek:

BUT- I wasn't too tired to see what you are saying about there only being a few old world maps. I do see your point there. I *WISH* I could see what SWB was saying! I'm sure it is something good. I haven't been able to listen to all her lectures. Do you remember if she says ANYTHING to give a hint to what she was talking about?

This is for sure gonna drive me batty until I know for sure!

So... I guess I was reading into it too much maybe? Maybe the detailed "coloring books" is refering to somethink like John Green's "Cathedrals of the World" coloring books???

That's how I took it.

BUT- I wasn't too tired to see what you are saying about there only being a few old world maps. I do see your point there. I *WISH* I could see what SWB was saying!

Well, I think the idea was to do some kind of mapwork chronologically. Make it branch out from your reading and writing. I suppose the chronological coloring work serves to help a child see how territories changed over the centuries, if you were to lay out coloured-in chrono. maps (like KQ) on the floor or something. And also to get familiar with the continents and maybe the rivers, mountains, and talk about how they would have affected historical events. So, we do that randomly with the globe etc.....but I'm still nagged about this book!!!! I did hear SWB say or saw her write something one time, along the lines of her mother realizing that she hadn't had her study geography and SWB laughingly say, "But I'm still OK." It was funny.

Someone wrote a post or started a thread recently about geography skills, and I skimmed it, and it didn't seem like there was a whole lot of necessary skills to teach - just a lot of info. that could be learned if you consistently looked things up in various places? Yeah, this geography thing nags at me every so often...I'm just not sure it's something to turn into a formal program (how many times have I mentioned that so far?:D I'm trying to reassure myself:lol:)

I just remembered something else - I'm hoping that her whole adult history series will be done for my kids to use in high school. Those, like the SOTW series, have lots of historical maps to look at. It's not coloring, but at least they are in the books we will be reading.