Menu

Sports with a cast? Help!

My ds8 broke his right arm last week, a buckle fracture. It didn't have to be set, but he does have a waterproof fiberglass cast. The PA who examined him made it sound like he should restrict ALL his activity, offered to write him an excuse for PE if he needed one, and when I asked about baseball, said "No way." He also told him that he shouldn't ride his brand new bike.

All this my son has complied with, though it seems excessive to me. I can't see that there would be any harm in him playing baseball for his team, though I WOULDN'T let him bat or run the bases because of the chance that if he ran into another kid, he could hurt the other kid with his cast.

Those of you who have had kids with broken arms, did your child continue with normal activity? Baseball?

If he can't run and can't bat, all that is left to do is to catch? I might ask the coach if it is worth him participating for now. Some sports are easier to participate in some way (for example my friend's child who broke his ankle in gymnastics can still do upper body work-outs.)

I can see the restriction on the bike because if he fell off, he wouldn't have his arm to brace himself with.

How long is he in this cast?

Well, he could play half the game, just play in the field and not bat. He has really been looking forward to baseball all year and is on a team as one of the older, more experienced players with several kids who are playing up a level. While he would probably be resigned to not participating, he will be letting the team down somewhat. I've told him that he may just have to sit the bench and wait until he is released to play. That is part of being on a team, you know?

He has to wear the cast until probably around April 20 or so. it is between his elbow and hand so he has free range of motion in his elbow and fingers, he just can't move his wrist.

Well, he shouldn't play in the infield either because he could hurt someone if he tagged them out and hit them with his cast. I speak from experience - that really hurts. That leaves the outfield. Not so much fun, I think, to be stuck out in right for the whole game.

Our baseball league has a "no casts" rule. If you can't take the cast off to play, you can't play at all. You might need to check with your league.

It's a bummer to have to sit out. My DD8 broke her collar bone half way thru the season and had to miss the rest. Which was a bummer for everyone since her dad was coaching the team!

One of my boys had a buckle fracture when he was 7 and had to sit out the rest of the baseball season. He was restricted from most physical activities (including riding his bike) as well.

The restrictions your son received are the standard protocol for that type of injury.

• 4 months later...

Update: Ds played with the cast. We saw a different PA who set the arm and she said it would be fine for him to play, so he did. It MAY have had some bearing that she was the wife of the coach and that he was one of only two eight-year-olds on the 6-8 team. ;)

At any rate, he had a good season and having the cast seemed to improve his batting. :D There were no complaints from opposing team moms about possible collisions and Ds played third base for most games.