Menu

Help me choose

We are finishing up TOG year 4. I have modified the rhetoric literature for my 9th grader this year, although he has really surprised me. He LOVED Les Miserables so much that he read the Hunchback for fun. ( Could I count that even thought we didn't "study" it?? Anyway, literature is just one component of his English credit. He wants to do The Death of Ivan Illych as he said it looks interesting, so he'll do that this week. He will then read Heart of Darkness and write a literary analysis over the use of dark images in the novel as his first attempt at literary analysis. I have Crime and Punishment, but that just feels so incredibly dark. The dialectic level has HOund of the Baskervilles. Now the boys checked two huge editions of Sherlock Holmes, either last fall or last spring and read them for fun, but we have never "studied" it. So I could have him do a rhetoric type analysis of Hound of the Baskervilles. He could also do the Invisible Man with his brother as well. We could call it done. Actually, in a way I feel with all the other components, we could call it done after Hound of the Baskervilles, but what do you think? This is what we have done:

Grammar Component

Analytical Grammar

Writing Component

IEW Intensive C

How to Be a Superstar Student ( writing section)

Elegant Essay ch 1- 3

TOG writing

Vocabulary

Vocabul-Lit Book I

Literature Component

Pride and Prejudice

Swiss Family Robinson

Les Miserables

A Tale of Two Cities

Tom Sawyer

Huckleberry Finn

Red Badge of Courage

Poetry:

The Making of A Poem: A Norton Anthology of Poetic Forms Mark Strand and Eavan Boland

A Poetry Handbook by Mary Oliver

Poets studied:William Wordsworth, William Blake, Robert Burns, Coleridge,

Lord Byron, Keats, Walt Whitman, Longfellow, Robert Browning, and Alfred Lloyd Tennyson

Documentaries

Biography: Charles Dickens

Ken Burn’s Mark Twain

Movies

Pride and Prejudice

Les Miserable

Nicholas Nickleby

A Christmas Carol

A Tale of Two Cities

Thanks,

Christine

Edited by choirfarm

Hi Christine,

We are doing TOG too (BTW- do you mean Unit 4, Year 3?;))

I think your plan sounds great. Crime & Punishment is very heavy and could easily be substituted. I may take your suggestion and use Hound of the Baskervilles as a replacement as well. I'm also going to skip the movie that is in the last part of the unit. I don't really see a need for it.

Your son won't have any problem with Invisible Man, but with the all the other lit he has done this year, I think you could skip it with a clear conscience.

BTW- I'll be happy to inform my son that he's not the only boy who's mom had him watch P&P this year. ;)

Blessings,

Leanna

Hi Christine,

We are doing TOG too (BTW- do you mean Unit 4, Year 3?;))

I

BTW- I'll be happy to inform my son that he's not the only boy who's mom had him watch P&P this year. ;)

Blessings,

Leanna

Yep, that is exactly where we are in Unit 4. All three of my children watched the Colin Firth version and LOVED it, even my boys. My 9th grader had missed how funny the novel is and the movie really helped him "get it." We also loved Albert and Victoria that stars Colin Firth's brother!! See that is what surprised me. He has really enjoyed the meatier literature, and he is my math/science guy!!

Christine