Menu

What happens when history hasn't gotten done ... and dd is in high school?

So much for all my planning. I was going to have her do the WTM method with HoAW. Fact is not too much history has gotten done here this year. My oldest is in 9th grade and so, because it is high school, it's a problem. (we actually watch lots of history here so they get more then most... if it wasn't for credits I wouldn't be concerned, kwim?) To catch up she is suggesting that she get to write (& for it read and research) 3 big reports on three of the main ancient civilizations -- Greeks, Romans, and Babylonians. She would like to write about how they lived, their art, music, history, geography, etc. These would actually be her first reports as we have been using CW and have only gotten to essays this year with Maxium/Chreia. Does this make sense or should I have her working more on position type papers? or something else?

TIA,

Kathie

Actually, it sounds like a very good idea. Since they're for history, rather than for her writing class, I see no reason why you shouldn't diverge from the type of writing she's been doing in CW. I'd give her a format for how you want things outlined and structured, and what type of citations you expect, and probably grade based on 2 or 3 drafts (I'd say 2 and an outline).

... I was going to have her do the WTM method with HoAW. Fact is not too much history has gotten done here this year... we actually watch lots of history here so they get more then most... To catch up she is suggesting that she get to write (& for it read and research) 3 big reports on three of the main ancient civilizations -- Greeks, Romans, and Babylonians. She would like to write about how they lived, their art, music, history, geography, etc. These would actually be her first reports as we have been using CW and have only gotten to essays this year with Maxium/Chreia. Does this make sense or should I have her working more on position type papers? or something else?

First, figure out how much of a credit you realistically have at this point from your readings, documentaries, tests/quizzes, papers, projects/activities, historical fiction reading, etc. A high school history credit really should include a significant amount of reading from non-fiction sources and some writing, but history documentaries count, too (and I would give the visual material a bit more weight esp. if the student was taking notes, was quizzed on the visual material; or the student references some of those works in a research paper).

Then decide what is realistic to accomplish in the rest of this school year (perhaps even consider working into the summer, if that is possible). You may decide that you just want to work toward a quarter, or a third, or a half of a history credit. (That's not really as "behind" as you might think -- most colleges/universities only require 1 world history/social studies credit in addition to 1 credit American History and half credit each Government and Economics -- so you'd still have 3 more years of high school -- and summers -- to finish a world history credit of some sort.)

Based on what information you've given, I'd suggest:

- list the history you've watched (and any other work you've done)

- have her read/research/write TWO longer research papers (I don't think realistically there is time to do more than 2 by the end of this school year) -- "double dip" and have these history research papers also be her writing/composition for English

- assign reading -- 200 pages is NOT unrealistic for the 9-10 weeks left in this school year; definitely have her read the chapters in HotAW on those civilizations she'll be writing about, PLUS several other non-fiction books from the library that will specifically help with the reports.

Depending on how much other work has been accomplished, I think you could realistically count that amount of work as 0.5 credit of high school level Ancient World History. If you feel it would still be a little short for whatever amount of a credit you want to accomplish, consider doing a timeline and filling in a few maps, or some other activity; or, read some Greek myths and an ancient great literature work (or even a few historical fiction works set in the ancient world) and discuss.

Just my opinion, of course. :001_smile: BEST of luck, whatever you decide! Warmly, Lori D.

Thanks for the feedback! I think it will be good for her to do her first "report". We will also be learning about citations this week in CW so that will help too. I hadn't thought that we had the option of only doing 1/2 a credit for history... hmm, depending on how much she actually does we might go this route. I'm now thinking of 2 research papers like these and perhaps one long essay... since we are learning so much about essays in CW... We'll just come up with a thesis for her back up with all the progym types of paragraphs that we learned from Maxium and Chreia. Oh I just learned that the college student living in our basement is majoring in ... history! Think I'll have dd pick her brains a bit too. ;)