Menu

apologia grade school science

jillian

You can use whatever sequence you like, though Astronomy is generally considered the easiest one.

My oldest started with astronomy then went into the Zoology series. The botany book didn't interest him at all, and he'd already done a lot of plant life science in his first and second grades (ala WTM suggestions). My second and third kids have enjoyed having most of the books on the shelf thanks to big brud, and hop around through them. This year they started in Zoology I and went through the whole bird section, then jumped to astronomy for awhile. In about a month they'll go back to Zoo I and do the insect section while spring is in full force. This fall they want to do the human anatomy book (releasing next month).

You don't have to do the entire book, but the first chapter in Flying Creatures of the Fifth day deals with classification and the author recommends you do that chapter before going deeper into any of zoology books.

I own all the books and IMO (and from comments I've read here) the Astrology one has the easiest content and Botany is the most difficult.

I didn't start in K/1 with my oldest so we doubled up on Flying Creatures and Astronomy in grade 2. Swimming in 3 (with chemistry) and we'll do Land Animals (with physics in 4) and Botany in grade 5.

My littler will do similar, but a bit different since there is a new book coming out: Grade 1: Flying Creatures Grade 2: Astronomy Grade 3: both Swimming & Land creatures Grade 4: Botany Grade 5: Human Body.

Once the Chemistry/Physics one comes out I will cover that in the second part of grade 3/first part of grade 4.

The cheapest place I have found to buy the Apologia Elem. books online new is :

www.finders-keepers.net/catalog/index.php?cPath=1&main_page=index

At only $26.50 each and free mm shipping over $50 its a good deal IMO.

However I have not bought from them myself so I cant vouch for anything else about them.

I have bought mine used, paying $20-$25pdd each for them.

I would agree that Astronomy is the easiest of them. Also since Botany has a lot of terms and is pretty complex it looks to be the hardest of what I have (Astro. Bot. Zoo1 Zoo2).

However J. Fullbright herself has been asked many times (on the yahoo list) what order they should be done in, and has replied to go with the child's interest. The only exception being the 1st chapter of Zoo1 contains classification info needed for the other Zoo books also. (last I knew that chapter was available to view on the Apologia site in pdf form for free)

Personally I would not use ANY of them for a K/1st grader unless that child was tagging along with older sibs. At this age/level I would suggest just reading a lot of good books about life science (animals/plants/etc) and maybe doing a few simple basic experiments showing things like how plants grow, and observing and talking about weather, animals, and whatever else catches the child's eye/fancy.

Then again IMO K/1st should be mostly focused on reading/math/handwriting.

HTH,

However I have not bought from them myself so I cant vouch for anything else about them.

I would agree that Astronomy is the easiest of them. Also since Botany has a lot of terms and is pretty complex it looks to be the hardest of what I have (Astro. Bot. Zoo1 Zoo2).

However J. Fullbright herself has been asked many times (on the yahoo list) what order they should be done in, and has replied to go with the child's interest. The only exception being the 1st chapter of Zoo1 contains classification info needed for the other Zoo books also. (last I knew that chapter was available to view on the Apologia site in pdf form for free)

Personally I would not use ANY of them for a K/1st grader unless that child was tagging along with older sibs. At this age/level I would suggest just reading a lot of good books about life science (animals/plants/etc) and maybe doing a few simple basic experiments showing things like how plants grow, and observing and talking about weather, animals, and whatever else catches the child's eye/fancy.

HTH,

yeah our main goal is to focus most of our energy on the basics as you stated (reading/math/handwriting) however dd as it stands now is EXTREMELY interested in animals so I have been looking for science-y stuff to help supplement what we are doing in our religion "classes". Most likely we will be using a Catholic Home School/Distance School type situation but I've not fallen in love with any of the science material like I've fallen in love with Apologia

HTH,

Another good place to shop is www.cbd.com. They have them for $26.13 with free shipping if you have a coupon. (I've noticed that free shipping coupon codes appear frequently on this forum. :))

We like to start with Flying Creatures or Marine Bio b/c animal topics are most loved by younger children.

Astronomy is written the easiest, but the topic is more abstract, so it's not as exciting for younger dc.

We also rotate Apologia and Noeo. Taking 16 weeks to finish each, so we get Animals/other for a few years, then simply Apologia/Other.

We LOVE this cycle and have learned so much from Apologia!!

We tend to get more books per topic too, both fiction and non b/c we tear up reading about animals around here!

Just a few days ago, I posted about elementary science on my blog. Maybe it will help.