Menu

Okay, seriously, a corn allergy?

So we eat mostly raw vegan now anyway so that covers a good deal of my corn problem. However, now that I know I *have* a corn problem, I'm trying to avoid corn (and corn products) at all costs. Seeing Food Inc helped me see that it isn't just corn and corn oil and high fructose corn syrup, but that there are TONS of things without CORN in the name that really ARE a corn product (often HFCS in disguise).

Anyway, so yesterday I try to go to the store and get crackers (I don't have a dehydrator yet). What crackers have no corn product at all? HA!

And today I decide to get a sandwich but wanted to get my own dressing. What dressing doesn't have it? Even the dressing that doesn't have gluten, carbs, sugar, fat, cholesterol, or calories still have a corn based product in it!

I'm flusterated! Will I EVER be able to go to a restaurant or buy anything from a store again? Or will I only be able to get handmade products or make them myself?

BTW, I'm POSITIVE what MOST people do when they have a corn allergy is to just deal, probably a good deal. But I am so sick that I really want to do the best I can, at least for a good bit of time til I'm feeling better.

Mostly, I'm just venting. :banghead:

My friend's mother can't have corn or nuts of any kind, and she has had to give up eating out entirely. She has a lot of success finding food she can eat at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's, although none of it is cheap. I hope you are able to find some things you can eat in your area.

at some point, I probably will not worry about it as much since 90+% raw vegan (my goal) would knock out much of it and then it won't be in some of the other 10%.

But as sick as I am, I'm desperate so I definitely want to avoid it at all costs right now. I can try to add in the tiniest bit later, but even that I would like to be minimal. Why eat an allergen if you can avoid it?

Pam, are there Trader Joe's in Texas? I just checked the crackers I have on hand, and there are no corn ingredients. I only have one box here to check, but I'm pretty sure that other types we've bought in the past were corn-free as well. Is there ever corn in cider vinegar or xanthan gum? If not, the salad dressings in my fridge were corn-free as well (TJ's brand goddess-style dressing -- similar to Annie's brand sold in other stores, though I don't have a label here to compare -- and another brand of yogurt-based blue cheese dressing, though I'm betting that wouldn't work for you for other reasons)...

Maybe just make salad dressings? At least that's easier to do well than crackers. :) I love tahini-based dressings, although some blended avocado dressings are particularly heavenly too.

xantham gum is corn....that is what is in mine too....

Yeah, I know I'll just have to make things. I'm just not particularly crunchy, I don't think. And then between sick and doing more than my body really allows...it'd just be nice if I could buy some things, preferably without paying a billion dollars. And the other thing is that I worry that corn and soy IS in everything. I worry about family and friends and strangers that are being fed corn and soy in almost everything they are eating. It really bugs me they are in so much.

Edited by 2J5M9K

My friend's mother can't have corn or nuts of any kind, and she has had to give up eating out entirely. She has a lot of success finding food she can eat at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's, although none of it is cheap. I hope you are able to find some things you can eat in your area.

My mothers reaction to corn is anaphylactic so she can't just deal, she HAS to avoid it. It's VERY hard and it's emotionally difficult b/c she is cut out of any church activities (She's allergic to the protein floating in the air!), she can't go to Target (b/c of the prevalent popcorn smell in the store), she has to eat all whole foods or she can't breathe. I'm sorry you are dealing with this! This has to be the hardest allergy to have as it's so prevalent.

She has found she can eat a few things on the Whole Foods salad bar (and occassionally the hot bar). Rice crackers and coconut creme are a yummy treat for her as well. Cassava chips are ok and Newman's Own chocolate is ok. If I think of other things, I'll come back and post more.

:grouphug:

Vent away. :grouphug:

I think corn is the single hardest allergy to avoid. My son's are pretty horrific too but I am so thankful he's not got corn and I'm really careful with his corn exposure for that reason.

These in everything allergies do get easier to handle (logistically and emotionally really) in time. His allergies do preclude eating out and all commercial crackers, breads save one not widely available, etc. If you can't find corn free you can make your own crackers very easily and with little time. They are easy.

If you find corn is as pervasive in commercial bread as my son's allergen is and you don't want to just bake your own all the time check into Berlin Street Bakery spelt. We order it online. I know it's the only sesame cross contamination free commercial bread and I have been told it's one of two soy free commercial breads. I would be shocked if they aren't corn free.

I think the hardest thing for you is going to be self care products (toothpaste, shampoo, etc.) if you're sensitive to contact. Many corn allergic people handle things ok unless they are ingesting them (watch supplements with vitamin c, citric acid, etc.).

:grouphug:

Edited by sbgrace

The corn list someone posted is helpful, but by no means complete. This group is very helpful:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/AvoidingCorn

They have a more up to date list that you can ask about.

For crackers, I think Wasa crackers are safe, or used to be. Most mazto is also safe, as long as it's not flavored.

There's corn in a lot of products where they don't bother to list it on the label. The above group has been pretty good at tracking down a lot of these foods.

If you're going to be making your own bread, be aware that most yeast is grown on corn sugar, so there is some contamination (at least in the US).

Oh my word! This is just unbelievable! My daughter isn't going to believe that!

Is it even possible to avoid it 100%?

I think I may have succeeded in avoiding corn for about 5 days straight. And then I gave up and just went back to antihistamines (which also contain corn).

Taking yesterday as an example, I think I did pretty well until dinner when I had a little piece of steak that I suspect had some corn sprayed on it somehow. The prevailing wisdom on meant is that it tends to have citric acid sprayed on it to keep it "fresh", and citric acid is generally made from corn. It's not listed on the label because it's not classified as an ingredient, but as something used in the processing.

There is one brand of yeast without corn. I believe it's Red Star, but you have to get it in the little expensive packets. The jars have a preservative that's made from corn.

BTW, a couple of other things that people don't generally know about are white rice and milk. Both often use corn as the carrier for adding vitamins (corn starch for the rice and corn oil for the milk). I've also been told that the vitamins themselves are made from corn.

It is possible that you'll find that only some corn products are a problem. So the corn oil in milk, for example, may not be an issue. (Oddly, I can eat tortilla chips -- it's all the other corn derivatives that bother me.)

My MIL has this, and has simply learned to READ the ingredients list of EVERYTHING - and has memorized all the various "code" words and abbreviations for corn products. I am getting there - I bake/cook from scratch when she is over, so I can avoid corn. It is, I think, one of the harder allergies since the durn stuff is EVERYWHERE!!!!!