Menu

Best program to go back over fractions?

melmichigan

My DD seems to have failed to retain the ability to work fractions. What would be the best program to go back and remediate this? We just started adding in MUS with the youngers, would this be the best option? I think she understood how to work the problems but didn't truely understand fractions. She has gone through Kumon fractions and decimals through 6th grade.

Edited by melmichigan

For review, I'd pick the Key to... books. And I do love Life of Fred, but in this situation, I would pick Key.

We copied the "practice test" at the back of each book and gave it as a pre-test, then I had dd only do the pages that correlated to the problems she missed or had a hard time with for some reason.

It sounds like; in this case, the child needs more repetition to really get those problems down.

LOF is very good and extremely fun, but there isn’t much to it, so a child who is struggling might need a little more. (I bought a Key to Fractions book but we haven’t needed it as of yet, it looks very good though!)

My dd needed strengthening in this area also. I am having her do Epsilon and LOF. Epsilon is really helping. Of course she is flying through it because she has already had instruction in fractions. She is enjoying LOF Fractions, but she doesn't feel it has much instruction....but she loves the storyline! I vote for Epsilon. I've never used the Key to series, but I've heard great things about it.

My dd needed strengthening in this area also. I am having her do Epsilon and LOF. Epsilon is really helping. Of course she is flying through it because she has already had instruction in fractions. She is enjoying LOF Fractions, but she doesn't feel it has much instruction....but she loves the storyline! I vote for Epsilon. I've never used the Key to series, but I've heard great things about it.

:iagree:

Love Epsilon! Ds loves the fraction overlays. He really gets fractions.

If you have a visual/auditory child, I would stick with MUS. We have used Key to..., LOF, and MUS. I don't think you can go wrong with MUS; it has such great explanations and tons of practice that a v/a learner would definitely benefit. If that is not an issue, I would go with Key to...over LOF mainly because Key to is going to cement the foundation. LOF would be more useful once you have the basics down. My ds loved the story from LOF last year but didn't understand how to work the problems after about chapter 5. Now after several months of MUS, I re-introduced LOF and NOW he enjoys working the problems.

I have -- and like -- both LoF and Key to Fractions (KTF). My ds was also having trouble remembering what to do. I like both supplements. LoF makes ds laugh during math (something that doesn't often happen), and I'm using that to give ds a new way to learn about the concepts of fractions. KTF has more practice in measured steps.

I had a son who just needed a basic review and Life of Fred worked wonderfully for him.

I had another daughter who really just had little understanding and needed more hand holding. In her case, Key To Fractions was just what she needed.

I guess it all depends on the student.

I'm going to throw another one out there. Mastering Mathematics has a fraction book that I love. I believe the book alone is 10 dollars and starts from the very beginning to 8th grade fraction work.

Hth in making a choice,

Dee

We have tried LOF and she can't stand it. :lol:

Taking into consideration that I have four other kids who will have to go through fractions too, I ordered MUS Epsilon. She has already said she isn't thrilled but she really needs to cement this before we go to prealgebra. The kicker that sealed the deal, circumference of a circle with the fractional representation for Pi, she is working with that lately too. ;)