Menu

Is there anything like Story of Science, but Christian?

HappyGrace

Is Story of Science objectionable?

It is in my Rainbow Resources wish list bc it is listed in the Christian Kids Explore Chemistry & Physics resources for next year. I haven't actually seen it. I have most of the Tiner books already.

There are some helpful reviews about it on Amazon. Also there were a couple good threads on here to do with whether it is secular or Christian.

I *still* got it for myself to look at. It just goes into a lot about the gods and so on. I totally understand that it's part of ancient culture, and not inappropriate. I just don't choose to dwell that much on it, personally.

I can't really actually explain it in specific examples, just that I felt it was too secular/humanistic for me in the sense of not giving God the glory.

I will use bits and pieces of it that are decent. I am just personally moving away from things that take a humanistic viewpoint and don't exalt God. My time is so short with my children, and I want to point them to Him in all things.

Hakim's books are secular. They also include errors of scientific fact. (That assertion I'm taking on faith -- oops word ! -- from the reviewers who have more science knowledge than do I.) Nontheless, I have yet to discover anything for the K-12 market to teach the history of science which comes remotely near her series for coverage and depth. My interest is keen, because the history of science was my undergraduate major.

Beautiful Feet sells an elementary school package which covers a few areas within the history of science. Scope is spotty, but it is a very good product for introducing this fascinating area of study to younger children. If your children are in this age bracket, I recommend this BF package.

Another secular series, mentioned in another thread, is the multi-volume "Science of the Past" series. Some of the volumes are out of print, some remain available from Amazon and/or from public libraries. They are excellent for grades 4-6. I really like this series ! I'm solidly Christian and find nothing objectionable.

Orthodox-I agree-that's why I bought it anyway, hoping I can make it work! I can at least make parts of it work.

I have the BF History of Sci-will have to pull it out and look at it again. I was waiting to be able to use it with both kids at the same time; I'll have to see if that time has arrived!

So Orthodox, do you use Story of Sci? Because now you have me worried about the errors too!

I'll use it when my dd is in 7th or 8th, just guessing. We own all three of the books available. Mrs. Hakim supposedly will publish three volumes to cover the life sciences (these three all are for the physical sciences). I've been waiting so long for news regarding those, that I finally exhaled.

I think of these books as components of studying the history of science, with formal science requiring other resources. Unless we have error-riddled science texts, those should reveal/explain Mrs. Hakim's mistakes, whatever they be.

Perhaps her most famous howler is her gaffe regarding the burning of the famous library in Alexandria. That one has been mentioned in other threads around here. Her errors regarding Christianity, I'll just correct "on the fly", same as I have to do for any other homeschooling textbook or resource.

Orthodox-I agree-that's why I bought it anyway, hoping I can make it work! I can at least make parts of it work.

I have the BF History of Sci-will have to pull it out and look at it again. I was waiting to be able to use it with both kids at the same time; I'll have to see if that time has arrived!

So Orthodox, do you use Story of Sci? Because now you have me worried about the errors too!