Menu

Is a SAT/ACT Prep course in co-op credit worthy?

We're considering offering a test prep course using standard prep materials - with pre and post testing - in our co-op next year. I have seen some area high schools offer this for credit. But what, overall, do you think an admissions advisor would think if he/she saw this course on a transcript? Would a semester (.5 credit) look OK? Terrible idea? Put that application at the bottom of the pile ;)?

I'm finding that our co-op parents are not taking advantage of the testing opportunities that abound and are then quite put out when their kids don't score well. My own personal experience is that the more testing one does, the better one does on the test. Hence the idea of the test prep class...

While my daughter did some test prep for PSAT, SAT, SAT subject tests, National Latin Exams, and APs, I did not put any of it on her transcript. I preferred that the admissions officers just consider her naturally intelligent. Also, she was not lacking in credits.

I do think some test prep is wise as tests differ in what they are looking for and some can be particularly tricky.

Regards,

Kareni

It seems that districts vary greatly. Our area also allows credit for driver's ed. We have never needed it and have not used it as credit.

What if the whole thing were mixed with career exploration and general college admission orientation - like learning how to write an admissions essay, scholarship essay, etc. Then there's the question of what one would call such a class....