Menu

Latin for lawyers?

How important is it to know Latin if you are planning on becoming a lawyer? My ds has expressed an interest in becoming a tax lawyer, since he is very interested in economics, accounting and business.

Lately he has started whining and complaining about our Latin studies, and has asked me if he can quit. He isn't interested in learning a modern foreign language either. What I really like about him studying Latin is the attention to detail and logical thinking that it requires, which would greatly benefit him as a lawyer; but do we really need to study an entire language just for those benefits? Neither he, nor I are interested in reading Latin classics, or studying Latin just for the love of the language, so is the time invested really worth it?

After doing a search on this board I have seen conflicting advice on the value of studying Latin for a prospective lawyer, so now I am confused. Any further insight would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

There are about 10 Latin legal terms that are still in use today. He will learn those in his first year of law school. For what it's worth, I can't think of any that are used in tax.

A good English vocabulary is essential in any type of law, so if Latin is the best way to build his English vocabulary, Latin will be worthwhile. Fluency in a modern language also could be invaluable in finding a good job after law school, especially if he ends up in a second- or third-tier school.

The most important skills for succeeding in law school and in a big law firm? (1) Being able to write well under pressure (law school exams are typically one or two questions that the student has 3 hours to answer, yet many new lawyers still go into law firms unable to compose a client letter); and (2) multi-tasking. If it were me, I would practice writing and ditch the Latin. Don't tell SWB I said that.

Terri

I third Plansrme and Gratia. Substantively knowing how to read Latin will not help in law school. BUT, studying Latin helps the student understand English grammar and develops disciplined and logical thinking. It is one tool, among many, that develop the young brain to think hard, long and well. Good study habits, excellent writing skills and logical thinking are the keys to succeeding in law school.

HTH,

Lisa

Good advice from all of you. Thank you.

So...I guess maybe I should be asking different questions. If our goal is logical thinking and brain development and not reading Latin then how much Latin study is enough? It seems to me that the main purpose of studying Latin is to actually read Latin. The incidental benefits are great, but how much of our limited time should we invest in a subject that is only providing us with incidental benefits? If our main goal is logical thinking and brain development wouldn't our time be better spent studying more Logic in the high school years? Just thinking out loud here...

Thanks again for your input.

So...I guess maybe I should be asking different questions. If our goal is logical thinking and brain development and not reading Latin then how much Latin study is enough? It seems to me that the main purpose of studying Latin is to actually read Latin. The incidental benefits are great, but how much of our limited time should we invest in a subject that is only providing us with incidental benefits? If our main goal is logical thinking and brain development wouldn't our time be better spent studying more Logic in the high school years? Just thinking out loud here...

Great questions. I wish I had more time to respond fully, but my quick answer is that I don't see the benefits of Latin study, IMO, as incidental. Any more than Pre-calculus or Calculus study would be to someone who plans on a becoming an art history major and then go into law. I'm pretty sure my dc won't pick up Latin readings in their spare time 10 years from now. :001_smile: But, Latin study is still part of the package that is developing their mind. I feel similarly with formal logic. A person can learn to think logically without ever studying formal logic. But it's another tool, for us, that will help my dc to think logically. Debate is another great tool, as is writing and discussing current events or the pastor's sermon at the dinner table.

So logic isn't instead of Latin but in addition to. Again, though, I completely agree that there are so many hours in the day. If your student really wants to speak fluent Spanish, your language hours may be better spent in learning Spanish.

Husband walked in the door (early!). Gotta go ~

Lisa

Edited by FloridaLisa

I believe you would get the same kind of benefits from learning Spanish. And the reason I'm saying this is that my little cousin (my cousin's son) is currently studying law, and a *third* language is now mandatory.

Since we're French Canadians, the second language is English, and now the law school has added Spanish. There's little Spanish in Canada though. I guess the university wants to prepare their lawyers for the future.

Even if your teen has no interest in learning a second language, it's really great training for the brain too, and with the added benefit of actually being able to speak the language and travel abroad, or converse with speakers of that language where you are.